October 15, 2007
First Look - Digital Combat Simulations
We Knew About Eagle Dynamics Upcoming Black Shark Flight Sim,
But We Didn't Know About "DCS"
Surprise! Late last night email arrived from Matt Wagner that included the new DCS press announcement, FAQs about DCS Black Shark, and some new DCS: Black Shark (as the sim title is now known) screenshots. In the package was some big news for flight simmer's. The next two titles after DCS: Black Shark will be the AH-64A "Apache" and the A-10 "Warthog"! Can you say, study sims return? And there's more. For example, the "Apache" is planned to have front-seat / back-seat multiplayer! Click on the screenshots for 1280x800 images, and read on.
Digital Combat Simulations - Press Announcement
The Fighter Collection to Release “Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark”
The Fighter Collection and the Eagle Dynamics development studio will release the new benchmark in PC air combat simulation in 2008 with the release of “Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark”. “DCS: Black Shark” is a simulation of the Russian Ka-50 attack helicopter and will be the flagship title of the new “DCS” series.
Following the success of the “Flanker” series and “Lock On: Modern Air Combat”, TFC / Eagle Dynamic’s “DCS” will shift the focus to introducing one aircraft at a time at an incredible level of detail that is unmatched by any PC flight simulation. Following the Ka-50 “Black Shark”, TFC / Eagle Dynamics will introduce additional aircraft modules to the “DCS” world like the A-10A “Warthog”, AH-64A “Apache”, and other aircraft at the same exacting level of detail. Each of these aircraft will be available in retail and online and can be purchased as stand-alone simulations or integrated with other modules. It will also be possible to purchase each aircraft as an add-on at a reduced price for consumers that have already purchased a “DCS” module.
Features of the “DCS” include:
- Advanced helicopter and ground force AI that creates a realistic combat environment
- Detailed modeling of 330,000 sq km of the western Caucasus region
- Twice the ground detail of previous TFC / Eagle Dynamics simulations
- Head-to-head and cooperative multiplayer
- Powerful mission editor with advanced scripting capability
- Campaign system with a moving front line that depends on mission results
The first aircraft to be included in the “DCS” world will be the Ka-50 attack helicopter. The Ka-50, like later “DCS” add-on aircraft, will feature:
- Highly-detailed six degrees of freedom cockpit
- Unrivalled flight physics system
- Realistic damage model and system cascade affect
- Mouse-clickable cockpit
- Detailed modeling and control of engine, fuel, hydraulics, electrical, navigation, radio, fire suppression, sensor, and weapon systems (casual game play modes also available)
- Advanced weapon physics for missiles, rockets and cannon rounds including ricochets
Internally developed by The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics, “DCS: Black Shark” is scheduled to ship for Windows PC in 2008. Further information can be found at www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/
About The Fighter Collection
The Fighter Collection, as well as developing software for the entertainment, serious game and military markets, also operates, rebuilds and maintains Europe's largest collection of airworthy WWII fighters and is based at Duxford Airfield, in the UK. For more information visit our web sites: www.fighter-collection.com and www.thebattlesim.com.
To Page 2
Click here to
go to top of this page.
Copyright 2008, SimHQ.com All Rights Reserved. Contact the webmaster.