If you enjoy raining down death from above (and who doesn’t?), there have been a few recent developments on the aerial combat front which may put power into your propeller. If that last sentence made you scoff and/or roll your eyes then my opening sentence mission was a success. Wings: Over Flanders Fields, DCS World, and IL*2 Sturmovik all have released some new information/updates that should make you smile (Inwardly, at least).
Wings: Over Flanders Fields
The next big WOFF expansion, Expansion 3, has been announced and will be released this month. I’m kidding. Currently, there is no official release date for Expansion 3, so we’ll just put it under the Coming Soon™ category. WOFF 3 is shaping up to be a nice, big expansion, even if “some other cool items” haven’t been revealed to us just yet.
Teasing New Features
- Improved Scenery
- New Aircraft (details TBA, however one of the aircraft will be Sopwith Camel Bentley 150 HP version (see below)
- New Lighting effects courtesy of AnKor – new blue sky and grass will tone the craft to add realism, and more.
- Improved Aircraft damage model (DM) features for example new Cockpit Damage effects,
- Slumped Pilots and Observers when killed.
- New Campaign features and improvements, mission improvements.
- New options in WOFF Manager
Personally, I can’t wait to find out what “New Campaign features and improvements” actually means (please let it mean recon updates).
Eagle Dynamics treated the public to update 1.5.3 for DCS World, as well as throwing the Albatros L-39 out into the wild with its accompanying training missions. The release of the L-39 coincides with its counterpart, the L-39ZA, so those of you who already have the Albatros will notice the new goodies after you update to 1.5.3 (if you haven’t already).
Update 1.5.3 is mostly a fixing/tweaking release, but you can check out the nitty-gritty details, right here.
DCS World Update 1.5.3
- Helicopter gets damaged when using a short length of rope is fixed
- Helicopter AI can’t unhook the cargo on the ground is fixed
- The rope displayed incorrectly at the joint with the cargo – fixed
- Script error after first mission of “Revanche” campagne is fixed
- ILS freq in ME will match the F10 Airdrome Data
- MP. Mouse moving on briefing screen also controls background camera view – fixed.
- MP. “Pause when empty” function on server config was added
- F10 view airfield resource menu will not overlay to mission editor after the mission
- Default cockpit language layer not default but alphabetical
- Illumination ammunition will painting objects on the ground and aircraft
- Small correction of Batumi NDB location
- Speed of ATGM Vikhr corrected
- Crash with missile explosion effect is fixed
- AI helicopters will attack from assigned direction
- AGM-86 collision in flight fixed
- AI MiG-31 dive corrected
- Corrected parachute texture for Russian pilot model
- Senaki-Kolhi NDBs. Changed frequency and callsign: Inner NDB from 129 to 688 kHz, “I” to “B”. Outer NDB from 156 to 355 kHz, “TI” to “BI”
- Su-27 The Ultimate Argument campaign. Corrected mission 18.
- AI Mi-8MTV2 can hit the target with GUV AP-30
- Different helicopter groups can be spawned on the same FARP
- Fixed crash on launch AGM-65
- Fixed crash on Mi-8 GUV fired
Update 1.107b is now up and running, but the Ju-88 A-4 still needs some time in the hangar. However, it is tentatively scheduled to be released sometime early March, once the kinks are all worked out. Like the DCS update, IL*2’s 1.107b is mostly a maintenance patch to tweak and improvement the game:
- Crash dump files saving added;
- Workaround for ‘invisible planes’ bug added (it doesn’t fix the cause of their appearance since it is still unknown but eliminates its consequence);
- Logging for ‘invisible planes’ bug added;
- Logging for ‘incorrectly attached bombs/rockets/turrets’ bug added;
- Performance in the first Soviet scenario mission (first, summer, chapter of Stalingrad campaign) improved;
- Crash that could happen while playing back large recorded tracks has been fixed. Unfortunately, tracks recorded in previous versions of the game won’t work;
- Compatibility with third party overlay software improved (for example, Steam and Teamspeak overlays);
- It will be possible to tell which side controls an airfield before choosing your own allegiance in multiplayer;
- Multiplayer mission author will be able to specify a range of allowed unlocks, not just individual ones;
- IL-2 sight can be moved back and forth using LAlt-F command;
- Light reflection and relief detail improved on thin metal parts of IL-2 model 1941, IL-2 model 1942, I-16 type 24, MiG-3 series 24, Pe-2 series 35, Pe-2 series 87, LaGG-3 series 29, La-5 series 8, P-40E-1, Ju 87 D-3, Bf 110 E-2 and MC.202 series VIII;
- MC.202 cockpit canopy textures improved
You can check out the complete list of changes in 1.107b here.