homepage

STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch

Posted By: citizen guod

STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 04/17/08 04:41 AM

As the sim gets closer to finish, we will have further features and special information along with a dedicated forum.

For now, post you questions here for the developers.
Posted By: Avimimus

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 04/17/08 05:30 PM

1. Are there plans for combined arms (I always loved conducting insertions using the BAS & OWP helicopters in OFP)?
2. Is it planned to model more realistic firefights (taking place at close to the maximum effective range with sporadic firing over several hours and plenty of waiting)?
3. How open and expandable do you think the engine will be (eg. in comparison to Armed Assault)?
4. Will there be proper modeling of field conditions and weapon jams (eg. the effect of mud, dust, pine-cones etc. on firing mechanisms)?
5. Will there be a psychological or physiological model (eg. difficulty getting the body to respond to the mind after an adrenaline rush, involuntarily taking shelter etc.)?
6. Would you consider modeling world war one?

S!
Posted By: harr

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 04/18/08 01:30 AM

1. What can we expect for the tactical planning in single-player (i.e. Rainbow Six's team configuration and planning phase, Ghost Recon's on-the-go squad rules of engagement)?

2. Will the co-op be a mirror of the single-player experience, with all its features intact?

3. Will the co-op include the AI to fill vacant player slots? How effective would it be? Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon's clone "AI backup" option was rather disappointing for what the missions required of the team.
Posted By: Machine Gun

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 04/18/08 11:26 AM

1. Similar question as harr. Is there any planning before a mission and is there on-the-go planning during a mission? Is there room clearing options?

2. Is there a cover system implemented? If so, is it similiar to any other game on the market or have they devised their own method?

3. Outside of the main campagin, if I were to choose a single mission will the enemy be placed randomly every time?
Posted By: Hatchetforce

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 04/19/08 04:38 AM

I first want to thank Chuck and the great people here at SimHQ for posting the article.

I can't possibly answer every single question. I really wish I had the time. Many of these answers have been posted over at the Blackfoot forums and there are some great people there. But I will pop in now and again to discuss certain matters that I can talk about. First let me say there are two realities to deal with in game development. What you would like to do and what you will be able to do - what is feasible in an alloted time frame. The last thing we want to do is discuss a feature we have to cut later for whatever reason.

Above all, before discussing features or anything of that nature, let me say that one word will define this game. Grit. There are only two titles I have ever gamed in my life where something happened that hit me so hard, made me so ticked I would not go to bed until I killed the character responsible. This game will hit you like that. Right from the opening scene.

There will be combined arms operations to a degree. But we have to spend most of our time focusing on the Operator on the ground. It is like spending money. We have to spend resources and time and decide what provides the most effective experience for the gamer. But after all, these are Ground Branch Operators.

How you approach firefights is up to you. There will be times where you can't help but get loud. But we are attempting to give the player as much freedom as possible on how quiet and how loud they are. Some firefights can last and due to what is occurring at the moment, some firefights will have an objective that means you have to shoot and move if you are going to get the job done in time. Why? Because that is the way things really are.

I hope no one gets tired of hearing that phrase - "Because that's the way things really are." How come you let people jump in the game. Because that's the way things really are. How come I can't hit anything when I am jumping and get pasted when I bunny hop. Because that's the way things really are. How come you let people pick up enemy weapons. Because that's the way things really are. How come the AK 47 isn't as accurate. Because that's the way things really are.

The engine is set and right now I can't say anything due to licensing agreements.

I have been an SF Operator for 20 years and never had my personal weapon jam. Not once. Most Operators have had similar performance records. Now pick up an enemy weapon? Well what are the standard conditions for weapons in that area of the world. What is the level of training and resources of the people from whom you took the weapon? I have seen brand new AK74s that didn't have a front site post.

There will be physical reactions to conditions and it will impact performance. Running, jumping, shooting. Psychological effects are not something that are usually prevalent. Not in the stress sense. When you are focused on what is happening it doesn't normally have a hand for SOF guys at the time. Remember, as a player you are an Operator, not some green kid and we intend to give you the tools and abilities of an experienced individual. While I am discussing shooting, people will finally see a game where full auto doesn't rule the day all the time or even most of the time. It is about precision shooting. Why? Do I need to say it?

WW1 has always been interesting to me. I have an original 1st edition of Raiders of the Deep. But right now our focus is Ground Branch and frankly we are stacked about 5 deep on upcoming titles.

No one plans missions on the way in, ala Vegas. It just isn't done. You will have to make quick plans on the ground as the situation evolves. That is the nature of combat. And bear in mind there is a story driving this game. I promise you you will actually know who you are up against and they will not deteriorate into some faceless bad guys. You are going to want take these people out of the picture...completely. No plan survives the first contact so you will have to make adjustments on the fly, but you will also have an overall plan.

We hope to have Co-op mirror the SP campaign.

In the real world there is no such thing as a cover system. There are mechanics that allow you to use a piece of natural formation or a manmade obstacle as cover. We will give you the mechanics to do this. There is no 3rd person and certainly no back to the wall unless you are dumb enough to do that, \:\) Yes Virginia, cornering actually exists and you can do hi/low.

I am not sure on the random enemy placement yet. That isn't a yes and it isn't a no. It is merely an I honestly don't know. Personally I am hoping for some randomization even in campaign replays!

Also I think you are going to find MP to be a blast as we have more than just Deathmatch. We don't have capture the flag because I have never seen that in the real world. Look, that tango just stole the flag from our firebase. Yeah, that happens. Instead we have a realistically driven set of game types you will love. Anyone here know how to drive a bulldozer? And no, it isn't what you think ha ha.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 04/19/08 05:01 AM

and thats the way it is... lol

Thx a mil for stopping by HatchetForce, a honor to have you here...

My own question list, and more will be added later... (more like notes to self)

Training, and not just game mechanic training.... real world, real "Ground Branch" training... CQB, cover, concealment, team and team purpose, proper entries, tactical retreats insertions, extractions etc etc...

modelled ballastics and pentitration...

modelled cover vs concealment, can't be seen low crawling in thick brush 300 meters away...

get it, objective, get out missions, or 4 vs 400 firefights...

noise and light disapline

"Master's of Chaos" type missions ;\)

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 04/19/08 05:29 AM

Magnum,

The plan is to have a Ground Branch library and Training Database that shows how things need to be done. There is always luck, but experience shows that normally isn't the best route to go. Will everyone have access to this database? That decision hasn't been made yet. Basic tactics will be available for all. Beyond that we are looking to reward our stalwart community.

But there will be either in engine or live videos made so the player knows what real tactics are and how they work. As I said though we are still formulating who and how gets access to that material. It will be realistic because those are the in game tactics that work. Yes the player can run and gun. He may get lucky for a few minutes. But that's like betting on the same number everytime on the roulette wheel. The odds are heavily against winning. Why? Because that's the way things really are.

AI are not supermen with xray vision. But as is often the case in many circumstances, you are in their backyard and they have an advantage. Not in technology, not in technique and training, but in area knowledge, sheer numbers, civilian intel network, carelessness for collateral damage, etc. There is a reason real operational teams with superior training, equipment, and ability wind up in day long firefights that sometimes go very wrong.

You will see ballistics modelled and their effect. No one is taking a body shot from a 7.62 and continuing to madly charge. No one is getting hit with a round from a .50 and walking away. Difficulty levels are not determined by increasing the number of headshots an AI can take either.

And just because you are wearing body armor and get hit in the chest plate, don't think a lack of penetration means there isn't a huge effect on your ability to operate.
Posted By: krise madsen

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 04/19/08 10:13 AM

I think I should mention that it was Hatchetforce who coined the phrase NORG (Natural Order of Realistic Gameplay), which really is the essence of the game: Because the "game world" is modelled realistically, the players actions will have realistic consequences. Players will act in a realistic manner not because the developers are ramming "realism" down their throats, but because it's the best and most effective way to play.

I've followed this game closely since it was revealed more than a year ago. I'm very much an old school tac-sim gamer from the days of Ghost Recon 1 and Rainbow Six (I rejected Rainbow Six: Raven Shield for being "too arcade-ish", that's how old school I am! ;\) ); and in the 1+ year I've followed this project I haven't been dissapointed by the choices of the dev team. Not once. This game will be good \:\)

Respectfully

krise madsen

PS: Just to avoid any confusion: I'm not part of the BFS dev team, nor am I privvy to any insider information, I'm just a big fan. \:\)
Posted By: Inferno

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 04/24/08 03:53 AM

How will the AI be like? Will they react to suppressive fire (the biggest problem with OFP/AA)?
Posted By: Witzbold

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 05/06/08 03:18 PM

Thanks for the post Hatchetforce.

After reading that and passing the info on to others that I know we are all getting very excited about Ground Branch and will be looking foward to further information / videos when they are released.

Also the idea of the training database would be excellent and it would be nice if only the top picks made it in to help keep it sane so folks dont have to swim throught a sea of videos just to find the hidden gems. Im assuming though if that is the route which will be taken with the videos and such it will be a feature mainly for the PC? Or will a same system also be implemented for the 360 version also similar to how bungie.net works?

Please allow me to apologize for entering late into the Q/A session.

If you dont mind me asking a few other questions I was curious about a general count for the weapons available in game? Also will we be able to pick what type of mods we attach to our weapons?

Then in relation to the question of gear and such will there be an actual weight system which will cause the player to become encumbered and move / react slower depending on how much gear they are packing? Since it would be very interesting to see each item you carry have its own set weight and such so the more weight you carry the slower you go. Instead of most games where its just split up into light / medium / heavy load speeds with the weapon categories. Then again that would make a lot of extra work and time taken to QA.

Will there be a command where you can hand off ammunition from your own stock or a weapon to another squad member?

With wounds and injuries will you be able to apply first aid to yourself or others in order to stop from bleeding out or be able to at least get back into the fight?

Last one although I know this is a bit odd of a question that would result in way too much work for what its worth, will gear on the player / AI be able to be damaged if hit by an aimed or stray round? Mainly in the sense of their primary weapon in hand.

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 05/08/08 07:09 PM

Witzbold, you joined up! For those that do not know Witzbold is a really great guy that lives in Japan, very knowledgeable in the game community and otherwise.

We haven't totally locked the number of weapons yet. I will say we are not going for the armory but rather prefer attention to detail on a lesser number of weapons with the ability to set that weapon up with appropriate optics and attachments as the player prefers. More functionality rather than more weapons that all shoot the same.

Weight encumbrance is part of the game so if you want to be a one man army you will also be a nice slow target and we all know how a good predator hunts - they take out the slow and the weak ha ha.

Wounds and injuries figure in highly in SP and MP. We have a neat mechanic for wounds that we handle in a different way from your average MP standard. It actually becomes a mechanic that can help you win.

As regards the ammo change and equipment damage, that is being looked at but it isn't on top of the 'to do' list. It is all a quaetion of time available for engineering and programming.

Good to see you here.
Posted By: elanaiba

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 05/08/08 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Hatchetforce

There are only two titles I have ever gamed in my life where something happened that hit me so hard, made me so ticked I would not go to bed until I killed the character responsible.

Heh, ok, you can tell us now what those games are \:D

I somehow suspect (and since I don't hunt your posts I don't really know) one of them is COD4... Right?

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 05/08/08 11:07 PM

Actually no, ha ha. I have COD4 but that wasn't it ha ha.

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 05/08/08 11:19 PM

Chessmaster?

Or are we talking about getting pissed off about a game and killing the developer? Hope you didn't play the latest SH then \:D

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 05/08/08 11:25 PM

Back on the topic, I don't remember what weapons recoil modeling will the game use. There are two methods that come up in my head as "mainstream":

- Rainbow Six way - Recoil is a function of weapon, character skill, movement and posture. Recoil translates into enlarging the cone of accuracy. Can be countered by using short controlled bursts <- this being where player skill, or rather method, intervenes.

- Counterstrike way - recoil is a function of weapon, movement and posture. Recoil translates into weapon climb and movement which shift the point of aim. Can be controlled by keeping the weapon level, countering the climb, etc.

(Games like OFP or Armed Assault use a combination of the two).

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 05/09/08 02:12 AM

Hi there Hatchetforce,

Thank you so much for the reply, warm welcome and the introduction to this great site / community!

After reading through the topics here and also through some of the posts on the BlackFoot Studios forums real excited about Ground Branch!

Im all for that about the weapons numbers, since yeah totally I agree its all about quality over quantity. For an attachment for the AK series I will so love you guys at BlackFoot studios forever if you could get the KOBRA red dot sight thrown into there. ;\)

Glad to hear about the weight encumbrance and will be looking foward to seeing how the system works out. I do love me some LMGs but at the same time I like it even better when the game is balanced so that I know carrying one around with the spare ammo will be slowing me down. Cant wait to help lay down some suppressive fire though!

Sounds great about the wounds and injuries, will be looking foward to more details as things are fleshed out and perhaps in the next press release?

Yeah as for the last thing I was just curious about that, plus it wouldnt be on the highest priority also. Totally agree / understand about the time / technical side of things.

Thanks once again for the welcome and response! I really do appreciate it and will be seeing you around here, the BlackFoot Studios forums!

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 05/09/08 10:32 AM

elanaiba,

With weapons modeled in first person view, weapon movement from recoil must be modeled. In addition there is an effect on accuracy. It isn't 'cone' shaped but it is there. The current model involves a combination of the two along with other affecting factors - ie movement, physical state, etc.

Hey I played the latest SH and enjoyed it very much. BTW, Operation Monsun was just released:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134922

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 05/09/08 10:43 AM

Witzbold,

We are keeping most of the unique items under wraps. Wounding employment and results are but a small part. Quite honestly I have already had one company try to get an entire copy of the NORG doctrine for their free use. I have also watched 2 items we know for a fact (friends on the dev team) get implemented in another title after we mentioned them on the forum. Some of the implementations will be held back from the public until you see it in a full blown presentation. We are also saving a few things that we will never mention at all until someone finds them in the game. This includes some things you might pull off in MP if you are crazy (or desperate) enough to try.

Re: STICKY: Questions about BlackFoot Studios new sim Ground Branch - 05/09/08 10:53 AM

Thanks for the reply once again Hatchetforce, appreciated as always!

Ive read up on NORG in your guys company forum.

http://www.blackfootstudios.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188

Currently searching for more topics if there are some.

Ill try to post more there also, currently only lurking. ;D

Really interested to see it all implemented in game though. And totally cant wait to try it out once you guys get it released!

Now really have more to look foward to with future press releases and such. Ill try not to bug ya anymore here and get more info from the forums! Thank you once again as always my friend!

Oh before I forget will really be looking foward to though how the injuries / wounds and such will be dealt with. Since I think it can really add a whole new level of depth and bring the player closer to real world high stress situations where potential physical harm on ones self comes into play mentally, totally more so than just knowing that when you get hit you will take damage / lose life. So it should be very interesting to see how folks will begin to react in game depending on how the damage modelling will be done and such. The psychological side of how folks will be effected by playing a more true to real life game should be very interesting, well for me anyways. \:\) I do hope that made sense and didnt come off more as sounding insane haha.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums