Rate This Thread
Hop To
#865286 - 09/20/02 01:55 AM Please help - Can't play F18 on XP Pro  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello

Can someone PLEASE tell me there is a fix for the following bug?

Whenever I get 'into' the cockpit the view scrolls up until 'I'm' looking directly above me.

It happens WITH and WITHOUT a USB joystick attached.

I've just ordered the Saitek X45 for use with this game, but until I get this 'view' bug sorted I can't play it at all!

Anyone seen this before?

PS I've also got the patch and installed that okay.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#865287 - 09/20/02 02:59 AM Re: Please help - Can't play F18 on XP Pro  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maverick,

I thought your problem looked familiar. I did a search of the forum for the words "view problem up" and found this thread.

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/Forum32/HTML/002731.html

Look for the first post from "TerribleTwo" He explains the problem and the solution.

------------------
Prophet

[This message has been edited by Prophet! (edited 09-19-2002).]

#865288 - 09/20/02 05:35 AM Re: Please help - Can't play F18 on XP Pro  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have come to terms with the fact that F18 is dead for me due to the issues it has with XP. With EA pulling the plug and no Source Code to update F18 to make it playable with XP, It's dieing quick. Sure there are some workarounds and tricks that work for a few people, but they dont work for all of us. The aggrevation is not worth the result in my opinion. Yes, F18 was a great sim while we all used 98 and ME, but with XP it's just not worth the trouble. I can only hope some how some day the source code will be aquired and the issues with XP will go away, but until then I have to look toward some of the newer sims comming out and ones that do work with XP now.

#865289 - 09/20/02 02:29 PM Re: Please help - Can't play F18 on XP Pro  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Prophet!:
Maverick,

I thought your problem looked familiar. I did a search of the forum for the words "view problem up" and found this thread.

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/Forum32/HTML/002731.html

Look for the first post from "TerribleTwo" He explains the problem and the solution.

THANKS!

I've followed that advice, and now I don't have the scrolling problem, but I'm getting a weird response to other key commands now.

i.e. when I turn the Autopilot on, it will work for a few seconds then turn off and won't ever turn on again!

Is this destined never to run?

Mav

#865290 - 09/20/02 03:54 PM Re: Please help - Can't play F18 on XP Pro  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey...I don't know. Personally, I think most or all of these problems will dissapear when you get your new Saitek controllers. I know of a lot of guys here who use the same rig and I never hear of any of these anomolies with it.

As far as what you are encountering now, there are a few things you can check. First, make sure that you have Realistic Autopilot enabled in the game options. You also should make sure that you are not exceeding the flight envelope characteristics which automatically disengage the Autopilot...namely bank angle of over 70 degrees, or pitch angle over 45 degrees.

You can also check to make sure that you have selected Autopilot options for axes control. These are selected normall via the UFC/Autopilot page. Pitch axis options include FPAH or Flight Patch Angle Hold, BALT or Barametric Altitude Hold and RALT which is Radar Altimiter Hold. Roll axis options include HDG or Heading, Roll or Roll attitude hold and CPL which is couple.

Couple is really useful as you can use this to fly to a WPT or Waypoint, TCN or Tacan emitter, TGT which is your current Launch and Steering target and finally ACL which automates carrier landings.

Hope this helps...and don't give up. I run on XP Pro and once I got my Cougar, all of these little problems went away. My only problem now is finding enough time to fly.

------------------
Prophet

#865291 - 09/20/02 11:28 PM Re: Please help - Can't play F18 on XP Pro  
Smoke1 Offline
Smoke1  Offline

Fredericksburg, Virginia USA
Maverick
I run XP Home with Saitek X36. All is well. Don't believe the autopilot is an XP problem. I agree with Prophet, it's probably a cockpit or in-game config problem. What other problems are you having?

Smoke

#865292 - 09/22/02 02:27 AM Re: Please help - Can't play F18 on XP Pro  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Don't forget that there is a minimum speed for engagement of the autopilot. I believe it is 240 knots.

See manual pps. 4-83 & 4-84 for a better description of all autopilot functions.

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 09-22-2002).]

#865293 - 09/22/02 05:29 AM Re: Please help - Can't play F18 on XP Pro  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe:
Don't forget that there is a minimum speed for engagement of the autopilot. I believe it is 240 knots.

Good point, Joe.

------------------
195th_Doc

Doc's Hypocritic Oath: First do no HARM?

#865294 - 09/22/02 04:01 PM Re: Please help - Can't play F18 on XP Pro  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe:

See manual pps. 4-83 & 4-84 for a better description of all autopilot functions.

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 09-22-2002).]

Absolutely correct...with one exception. Couple ACL and it will walk you right down onto the deck.

------------------
Prophet

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.