Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1651952 - 01/29/05 05:52 AM Frogs Attack Airbase!  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Sigh. What is the world coming to? Frogs attacking an airbase? Why, why would they do such a thing?

It's an important question, one we'll answer, along with several others. First, here we are, ready for takeoff. We're armed with six OFAB 500 bombs. Now, I don't know what that means or what they are, but I know there's a "6" in there, and that's all that counts.

Climbing out, I head away from home, and away from the assigned waypoint. Why? Because I don't know what I am doing, that's why. The SU-25 Frog is a foreign aircraft to me. I can't read the instruments, don't know the words, I'm lost. I do know there's a little mileage counter down by the HSI. It's supposed to be going down. It's going up. I turn around 180 degrees and me and my wingman, good ole # 12 truck on past the airbase, over the nearby town, and on to our destiny.

Did I mention our mission? Oh. Well, I read the briefing briefly before we left. We were supposed to drop some bombs on an airbase. That's all I remember. Important? Na.

Fine, the distance thingie is counting down as we drive our trucks over the ocean. Up ahead I see missles arcing up from the ground, AAA fire, aircraft spiraling out of the sky trailing smoke and fire. At the center of the maelstrom, an airbase. Aha!

Not only that, but some parked C-17A's come into view. Even better, now I have my target. I arm the bomb stations, turn on the laser rangefinder and head on in, my trusted wingman by my side. I really like him. Bombs away!

The AAA is getting thick, SAMS are firing off right and left. But down below, aircraft have bombs landing on them:

Shack! Yeah baby! Shack? What does that mean, and why do I know the word? No matter, the second C-17 goes ka-boom as my wingie and I climb away and pop flares:

Now, for some reason, the folks down there do not share my enthusiasm over the events I have just described. In fact, they're mad as heck, and to prove it, they launch a missle. At me!

I don't know about you, but whether it's a Frog or a Hog, when a SAM is in-bound, you take defensive measures pronto:

Yip, yip, yahoo, I survive, my wingie too. But, I have now noticed he didn't drop his #6 bombs. Maybe he wants to make another pass and take out the last C-17. But no, he stays with me, and keeps his bombs to himself. Fine, be that way, I'll do it myself!

And so, I followed in the footsteps of another fine pilot, a Viper pilot, from a different part of the globe, and a different war. One who, when faced with the fact that he had expended all his A2G ordnance except for one, decided to turn and attack. He came roaring down the middle of the enemy runway, in a horrible crossfire of AAA, and fired his cannon into the heart of the enemy.

I decided it was time to "go Beach" on them.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1651953 - 01/29/05 06:06 AM Re: Frogs Attack Airbase!  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
What a valiant effort! But sadly, a stupid, inept, and misguided one. I miss with the 30mm cannon rounds and auger a hole in the runway, right next to the C-17, which has nary a scratch.

And there to witness the carnage is: my wingman, good ole #12. He sails on by as I impact into the concrete. Still holding onto those bombs, for what I do not know. He's ripped up a little, but still airworthy. Thanks 12!

And so the final saga is written. #12 returns to base, having fired nary a shot. The fiery end of my aircraft fades into the distance as he evades the desparate enemy gunners.

Later, he will face the debrief and learn the bitter truth, that we had failed miserably, and despite my sacrifice. The mission that morning was not to bomb an airbase in general or C-17A aircraft in particular. No.

Because OFAB-500 bombs are concrete penetration bombs. Runway damaging bombs. The mission, which I failed to complete because I didn't bother reading the English-only briefing, was to destroy the runway. Well, heck. Another failure.

He still could have dropped though. Just for me.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
#1651954 - 01/29/05 09:51 AM Re: Frogs Attack Airbase!  
Axel40 Offline
Axel40  Offline

London
HAHA, ya know I was reading that thinking to myself that I was gonna say...

"Oi noob, thems runway busting bombs, that mission (which I have flown many times) is to rip open the runway, not the AC parked up by it's side, although I always take em out with gunz anyway \:D "

BUT!, seeing as you noticed it already I will just say the Frog is a great AC, love it to bits ;\) which is why FC will suit me down to the ground.

Nice job.

Axel

"Anti Aircraft fire is...very dangerous."
Eddie Rickenbacker 2009
#1651955 - 01/29/05 01:15 PM Re: Frogs Attack Airbase!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

hilarious 20mm, nicely done. \:D

#1651956 - 01/29/05 04:07 PM Re: Frogs Attack Airbase!  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Lol..I love "target fixation"..it can lead to very interesting "landings" at enemy airbases..hehe..

Good one!

\:\)

BeachAV8R

#1651957 - 02/01/05 06:59 PM Re: Frogs Attack Airbase!  
vmann Offline
vmann  Offline

New Hampshire
I knew who you were talking about and did a kind of internal snicker. The "going Baach" comment sent me over the edge and co-workers were disturbed! Very funny. (Does your *****in' Svetlana not know the words "pull up"?)

Athlon X2 4800+, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, 2Gb OCZ PC4000 EB Plat, 74G 10k WD Raptor, 2 X Leadtek 7900GTX, Audigy 2 Zs, SeaSonic 600W PSU, Windows XP Home, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals USB.
#1651958 - 02/02/05 01:29 AM Re: Frogs Attack Airbase!  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Quote:
Does your *****in' Svetlana not know the words "pull up"?
Actually, she does, but chooses not to use them. She knows that I become easily target fixated, and once that occurs, well, prepare for augering, cause we're going in.

So, instead she says something like Warning! You are target fixated. Again. If you don't stop "going Beach" on people we're going to die!

And she is almost always right! ;\)

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.