Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 106 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 105 106
#1950397 - 11/12/05 05:48 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced *****  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

auch, could you guys re-size those pics, hard to read anything in here...

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1950398 - 11/12/05 06:30 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by ArgonV:
Freycinet, no most control surfaces in WWI did not taper to a fine edge. \:\) Remember they were dealing with wood and canvas, not metal...
Many of the trailing edges were wire. That is why you see scalloped trailing edges.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#1950399 - 11/12/05 06:39 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Lowengrin Offline
Lowengrin  Offline

Victoria, B.C. Canada
The CFS3 mod and the Third Wire game will be nice additions to the WW1 arena but neither have the on-line capabilities that IL-2 FB has. So I'll be putting my money on the FB sequel.

Lowengrin
Lowengrin.com
#1950400 - 11/12/05 06:55 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Not just on-line capabilities but:

1) damage modelling

2) FM modelling

3) Stability of code

... - Let's face it: the Il-2FB code kicks @ss when it comes to combat flightsimming.

#1950401 - 11/12/05 07:02 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by ArgonV:
Freycinet, no most control surfaces in WWI did not taper to a fine edge. \:\) Remember they were dealing with wood and canvas, not metal...
OK, I didn't think it was necessary to corroborate this with photos, but here goes:

http://www.collectors-edition.com/f-t-s_zeichnungen_drI_titelbild.gif

http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/bibl/mil/ww1/technika/repules/tipusok/fokker_dr1_6.jpg

http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/bibl/mil/ww1/technika/repules/tipusok/fokker_dr1_1.jpg

http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/bibl/mil/ww1/technika/repules/tipusok/fokker_dr1_4.jpg

http://www.aviation-militaire.com/Galerie/Paris_Elysees_98/018_01P.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Fokker_Dr1_on_the_ground.jpg

- the Fokker Dr. 1 definitely did NOT have big fat control surfaces. They tapered to a fine point, and were nothing like that Gennadich 3D-model.

#1950402 - 11/12/05 07:09 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
This board definitely isn't like the ones frequented by us Red Baron 3d junkies...but I bet you'd like flying the old planes in the Great Air War. Great dog fights and closing speeds that permit you to see your adversary.

No 105 dit: >>At least 2 promising wwI cfs since the days of RB3D never saw the light of day. I hope this one makes it.>>

My thoughts exactly.

Au revoir en l'air,
LE~Heureux~sLt
Esc124
"Lafayette"

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#1950403 - 11/12/05 07:16 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Ronbo Offline
Ronbo  Offline

Bonney Lake, WA (was Las Vegas...
thanks Sensei, you put it more to the point about
debates on FMs. i just didnt want to go there.. at least here it seems the FM debates are more cordial, espcially now. Never really happened with RB.

as for the 'climbs like a monkey', that wasnt just von helton..

I agree with Low, Il2 would be a better platform to bridge between ww1 of Rb3 and todays technology.

as to Olegs(?) comment on not worrying about dynamic campaign, that isnt true! the lines were static for alot of the war, but having flights generated and not scripted is the best way to enjoy the air war and keep people interested for years to come. that is why Rb3d has endured, plus projects like Full Canvas Jacket to give it new life. Im sure the Old Rb3D community, if Il2/ww1 is done correctly, will come and make it flourish.

vbr
Ron
Former member of:
JG1 'Richthofen', Jasta 11; Rb3d
Jasta 1; Rb3d
Jg1 'Oesau'; EAW

A&P Mechanic
Retired USAF

'Always treat your kite like your woman' 'You mean take her home and meet your mother?' 'No! I mean get inside her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e644WFD1rgM
#1950404 - 11/12/05 07:58 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Sensei Offline
Sensei  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Freycinet:
[QB] Yeah, Sensei, but there is less of a problem for the sim programmers if no-one can come up with performance data, but just anecdotical evidence.
Been there, done that with my own efforts at a WWI sim. Having only anecdotal evidence leads to far more arguments than having facts sheets. I admire the effort being done here but to think having no data makes it easier, trust me, it does the exact opposite. Lacking hard evidence doesn't make them argue less. It makes them argue more.

No matter what approach a developer takes they will almost certainly tee-off a vocal portion of the community and there is little to no evidence to prove them wrong or you right. I've seen happen in every attempt so far.

Oleg was right to be cautious of this era of flight. The FM debates in IL2 will be thought of as a cake walk in comparison.

#1950405 - 11/12/05 08:19 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Paajtor Offline
Paajtor  Offline

The Netherlands
"As close as it gets" is good enough for me. \:D

#1950406 - 11/12/05 09:58 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
gambit_168 Offline
gambit_168  Offline

herts , england
Hey that DR1 looks So good that it made me fire up Wings of war, for a quick Fix , but i just lov that game, with all the mods in it, its a hoot, i will fly my own barons DR1, until theres comes out
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/gambit168-baron.jpg

#1950407 - 11/12/05 10:01 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
IceFire Offline
IceFire  Offline

Canada
Just incase anyone else wanted some reference on these aircraft...I found a good site!

http://www.theaerodrome.com/

It seems to have all the major types of WWI fighters and bombers plus some statistics.

I think as far as making FM's go...you find out how much horsepower, the power and wingloading, weight, and a bunch of other things and plug them in and see where you get. Some anecdotal evidence ontop of that and you're probably good to go.

The one advantage is that fewer people know about reputations of WWI aircraft...none of them are really as iconic as the Spitfire and 109 (although the Sopwith Camel and Fokker Dr.I seem to be close).

The other thing being that I've seen a few of these types in the air and recently! The Brantford Ontario WWI Flying Club (not sure if thats the full official name) maintains and flies replica WWI aircraft (I forget which ones). There must be enough documents for them to get off the ground and fly the bloody things...

I think its not going to be a huge problem.

- IceFire
Find my missions at Mission4Today.
#1950408 - 11/12/05 10:03 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by WWSensei:
Quote:
[QB] Yeah, Sensei, but there is less of a problem for the sim programmers if no-one can come up with performance data, but just anecdotical evidence.
Been there, done that with my own efforts at a WWI sim. Having only anecdotal evidence leads to far more arguments than having facts sheets. I admire the effort being done here but to think having no data makes it easier, trust me, it does the exact opposite. Lacking hard evidence doesn't make them argue less. It makes them argue more.

No matter what approach a developer takes they will almost certainly tee-off a vocal portion of the community and there is little to no evidence to prove them wrong or you right. I've seen happen in every attempt so far.

Oleg was right to be cautious of this era of flight. The FM debates in IL2 will be thought of as a cake walk in comparison.
I'm sure there will be debates: my point is that FM's won't have to be changed incessantly, because the developers' guesstimate will be as good as that of the various fan groups...

#1950409 - 11/12/05 10:53 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
Quote:
- the Fokker Dr. 1 definitely did NOT have big fat control surfaces. They tapered to a fine point, and were nothing like that Gennadich 3D-model. [/QB]
Freycinet is quite correct. Aircraft like the Dr. I used a wire trailing edge attached to wooden ribs. Under the tension of the doped fabric covering, the wire was pulled in a bit which gave the classic scalloped trailing edge of Fokker (and some other) aircraft of this Period.

Cheers,

RocketDog.

Beyond gliding distance
#1950410 - 11/12/05 10:56 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
The Fokker Triplane looks great, and we'll keep our eyes open for the weekly updates to come! \:\)

Oh btw, the Fokker Dr.I's rudder frame was made from 12mm rounded steel tubing, while the the horizontal stabilizer was from 15mm stock, and elevator's outline came from 10mm diameter tubing.

The Fokker triplane's tailplane was not wire-edged.

#1950411 - 11/12/05 11:01 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
Fast work FlyX! - you added that before I could edit in a note to say that the tail surfaces didn't use a wire trailing edge, only the main wings.

Somewhere I have a stack of Windsock profiles of all sorts of interesting WWI a/c. I'll try to dig some out and scan them. Fascinating machines.

Cheers,

RocketDog.

Beyond gliding distance
#1950412 - 11/12/05 11:35 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by RocketDog:

Fascinating machines.
Indeed!

Paul Leaman's book Fokker Dr.I Triplane: A World War One Legend is probably the best, though the Windsocks are good too, especially for line drawings and paint schemes.

Here's an airframe photo from Achim Engel's Fokker Dr.I In Detail CD:

#1950413 - 11/12/05 11:41 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Sensei Offline
Sensei  Offline

Quote:
I'm sure there will be debates: my point is that FM's won't have to be changed incessantly, because the developers' guesstimate will be as good as that of the various fan groups...
Just look to the RB3D world and you might understand how you couldn't be more wrong. Dynamix changed the FM significantly in every patch until they finally walked away from the project.

The FM has been changed and tweaked so many times due to so many opinions it isn't uncommon for people to have several versions installed with different FMs.

One of the last utilities to be written was one that made swapping out FMs easier to do.

As I said, been there and done that. If you really believe lack of data is going to make the problem easier all I can say is you are ignoring nearly 10 years of sim history.

Quote:
I think as far as making FM's go...you find out how much horsepower, the power and wingloading, weight, and a bunch of other things and plug them in and see where you get. Some anecdotal evidence ontop of that and you're probably good to go.
Yeah, right. That approach has worked great in squelching all the FM debate in IL2 right? Let's start with the first two most well known WWI aircraft--The Triplane and the Camel. Just on the variables you mentioned there are sources that differ on each one of those factors by as much as 50 percent. Sorry, but just look at ANY flight sim where the data is much better and that naive approach has done ZERO to squelch the debates and whining and forcing of a developer to cave in to someone.

I hope these guys do well as I very much want to see a WWI sim. But thinking it's going to be easy and lack of data make the FM wars go away is just being extremly naive and short sighted. There is a much larger fan base for these aircraft--with their own opinions--than you think.

#1950414 - 11/13/05 12:02 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
This product will NEVER see the light of day.

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)
#1950415 - 11/13/05 12:05 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Ronbo Offline
Ronbo  Offline

Bonney Lake, WA (was Las Vegas...
The aerodrome is a very good site, no doubt about it. but for different reasons. there is more to developing FM's than just wieghts and wing area. the aerodrome is more for general coverage of ww1 flight. the forum there is the real meat as many ww1 historians frequent there. answering and posing questions of a wide variety of topics.

even if that site had all the variables we needed, there are other sources that will state differently. that has been proven time and again for discussions on ww1 crates.

if the developers of the next ww1 sim could spend time calculating and verifying the handling, speed and climb rates of the current replica aircraft, much of the debate would stop. but, that hasnt happened yet.

vbr
Ron
Former member of:
JG1 'Richthofen', Jasta 11; Rb3d
Jasta 1; Rb3d
Jg1 'Oesau'; EAW

A&P Mechanic
Retired USAF

'Always treat your kite like your woman' 'You mean take her home and meet your mother?' 'No! I mean get inside her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e644WFD1rgM
#1950416 - 11/13/05 01:01 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by WWSensei:

I hope these guys do well as I very much want to see a WWI sim. But thinking it's going to be easy and lack of data make the FM wars go away is just being extremly naive and short sighted. There is a much larger fan base for these aircraft--with their own opinions--than you think.
The Il-2 series has managed to keep the FM programming secret. It's quite unheard of in sim history, but the Il-2 series has actually not had anybody crack the FM code and make their own.

I know about the old history you refer to, but given the history of the Il-2 series, I think we won't see a fragmented community, FM-wise, with this new WWI sim.

I don't see FM improvements as a bad thing when they're imposed across-the-board with all users who download the latest patch, the problem is a fractured fan base, and that I think we can avoid, based on the Il-2 engine history.

In the il-2 update history I don't see the developers swinging around according to the whims of a majority of users. Rather, they've just corrected proven errors and added features to the FM.

There will be a lot less "proven errors" in a WWI sim, just because hard data is so much more difficult to come by, so I think there will be less discussions involving the developers, but of course there will be huge discussions among fans, that's a given when it comes to these sims.

Page 6 of 106 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 105 106

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.