Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2266170 - 07/23/07 04:34 PM CMSF: ATGM Ambush...  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
NOTE: These screens were taken from the "work-in-progress" beta version of Battlefront's upcoming Combat Mission Shock Force.

Background:
The Syrian Army has blocked the major paths into the city, My Mechanized Infantry Recon Platoon has been tasked to recon, clear, and report on a back door entrance into the enemy held city, through some hilly terrain.

My Mechanized Infantry Platoon consist of a HQ element, Three M3A2 Bradley IFV's, and three Infantry Squads... no artillery or air support on this mission.

Mission Briefing:

Tactical Map:

My Platoon arrives at the embark location, things are going to get hot from here:

My basic plan of action is pretty simple, I split the map into three sections, I have a Bradley Fighting Vehicle along with it's Infantry support take up the center position for the spearhead, while the other two teams take up the flanks and utilize the high ground:

First contact is made by the right flank Bradley, the enemy is unknown, and out of reach at the moment:

I then lay down the orders, while the Bradley's cover, the infantry squads move up to phase line Alpha:

Moving out, using bounding overwatch from the three Bradley's and there respected infantry attachments:

I then order the center Bradley to watch the 12 o"clock position with a target arc:

Infantry have moved up to Phase Line Alpha and have reported only distant contacts, the Bradley's then pull up to better cover there infantry:

Bradley has a enemy ATGM in his sights and ordered to engage at will:

I have the far left and far right infantry squads move up to highground, and report contacts:

My right side squad comes underfire from a machine gun nest to it's left flank, I order a tactical withdraw but lose one man and one man gets injured:

I then order the Bradley up immediately to cover the retreating right squad:

Tactical update: I have moved the entire Platoon up to phase line Alpha, I have a Bradley and a infantry squad watching the middle road and overall objective. I have a Bradley vehicle on the left flank, and one on the right, I have them both watching there opposite sides to get a nice tactical view, and nice cross fire for any enemies just on the other side of the hills.
I have move one infantry squad to the far left flank overwatching the whole battlefield, while my right flank infantry squad has taken casualties and have been pulled to the rear:

The left flank Bradley begins to take small arms fire from the right side distant hill, I order the Bradley to pop smoke, get into a hull down position and open fire:

We clear out and take over Phase Line Alpha, and move into position to take out the remaining enemy stronghold:

I now have the infantry taken positions on both controlled hills overlooking the final objective, I then order the Bradly's to move forward and hunt for enemy contacts, I position then on the highest ground possible to fire down toward the enemy:

You can clearly see that we have taken over 75% of the operation area, continuing to sweep and cover:

At just over 400 yards, even my infantry can reach out and touch exposed enemies, or at least keep there heads down till the Bradly's get into better firing position:

(different map views, from 1: kinda first person to 9: strait overhead Tac View):

OK, all units are in position and targets are assigned, and engaged:

My A TEAM, they got the most kills from atop that hill:

Pulling a pincher move, and squeezing the enemy:

US Army Total Victory, 1 KIA and one injury:

After view:

Thanks for reading... understand, again, that this is a beta and work in progress, (thou the game is down now). If you ever played any of the other three Combat Mission games from Battlefront (all WW2 based) you know that this is probably one of the greatest series of computer games ever made... and my first impressions with the new Combat Mission, Shock Force (set in the very very near future), are really high and very excited about the game coming as a digital download or store purchase July 27th... just a few days away.

Understand that I know I could of zoomed in and got killer screens of explosions and the vehicles etc ect... but the purpose of this thread is a AAR (After Action Review) where i tried to highlight more of the tactical aspects of the game... you want pretty pictures and excellent video footage, check out Battlefronts web site.

Folks, I think we have a big big winner here... Watch for my review at SimHQ when the final is released.

OH... and PC... first time playing it, so I was still learning too... like the line of sight tool, very helpful, but never found it... lol... I still need to RTFM. ;\)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2267089 - 07/24/07 01:49 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Magnum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Very nice, thanks for that AAR, Magnum!

Only three more days until release...

\:\)

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#2267155 - 07/24/07 03:06 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Para_Bellum]  
goonch Offline
goonch  Offline

New Jersey, U.S.
Can't wait !

#2267355 - 07/24/07 06:44 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: goonch]  
Rebel Yell Offline
Rebel Yell  Offline

Houston, TX USA
Yeah, baby!

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.
#2267371 - 07/24/07 06:59 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Rebel Yell]  
Jeevz Offline
Duke of URL
Jeevz  Offline
Duke of URL
Veteran

Clermont, FL
Nice AAR, put in my order today.

Commence to Jigglin'
#2267392 - 07/24/07 07:18 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Jeevz]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Very nice. Can't wait for the pre-order to turn into a download.

It is my Birthday present to me. \:D

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#2267586 - 07/24/07 09:29 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Wklink]  
Wepps Offline
Wepps  Offline

Beaumont, Texas
I'm getting this one, no question about it.

#2267698 - 07/24/07 11:28 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Wepps]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Well I hope you guys understand what Combat Mission is before you buy based on screens and an opinion or two... The CM is a unique game and not to everyones liking...please check out the web site at:
http://www.battlefront.com

and maybe wait for a demo, if your not sure.

#2267714 - 07/24/07 11:58 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Magnum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Pffft... you're talking to people who got bloody fingers refreshing BFC's website for the beta demo of the original Combat Mission...

;\)

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#2267720 - 07/25/07 12:10 AM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Bahger Offline
Bahger  Offline

LA, CA, USA
What are your reservations specifically, Magnum? Do you think people will be approaching this as a shooter?

#2267725 - 07/25/07 12:20 AM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Bahger]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
yes... those who do not know what the CM series is... I know people kinda "listen" to my opinion/advise/BS...sometimes more then I wish they would, lol...don't want to have someone saying... "this game sucks" or "it's a startegy game?"...know what I mean.

#2267824 - 07/25/07 03:42 AM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Bahger]  
vertical Offline
vertical  Offline

Oregon
Must wait for a few more paychecks...Must wait...

vertical

i7 2.4 GHz (turboup to 3.4 GHz)
Nvidia 650M 1GB
8 GB RAM
256 GB SSD

Saitek X52 & CH Pedals

Pulling the eject handle since discovering F-19 Stealth Fighter on a second hand PC.
#2267877 - 07/25/07 05:32 AM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Magnum]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Magnum SimHQ
Well I hope you guys understand what Combat Mission is before you buy based on screens and an opinion or two... The CM is a unique game and not to everyones liking...please check out the web site at:

I've done three reviews of the game, they can look here as well.

http://www.simhq.com/_land/armor_003a.html

(CMAK is the only one that still works, the others haven't been reformatted but you will get an idea.)

IMHO it is the best tactical level wargame ever created. CMAK to me stretched the technology to the point where the game was almost unplayable, it became too big. It looks like this game is getting back to its principles, Company and Battalion level operations.

What is the largest size of unit in the game? In CMAK you could get a divsion sized element if you wanted to. Nice and big, certainly meaty but almost an irritant when you were trying to complete anything. Too much to do at one time. I can't see CM2 doing well in full real time with that size of units.

Last edited by SimHq Tom Cofield; 07/25/07 05:35 AM.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#2268098 - 07/25/07 02:53 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Wklink]  
MirabelleBenou Offline
MirabelleBenou  Offline

France
Funny !

I got the review release of the game by the French Editor and this scenario was the first I tried \:\)

I put an AAR on my WebSite. It's in french but you'll have some screenshots :

http://www.esprits.net/forums/viewtopic.php?id=57&p=3

Just look at the end of the page. You'll have some other shots of another AAR (Abrams Vs T-62M and T-72 MIV) at the next page.

We start this scenario the same way and got the same score (I had 2 killed).

Last edited by MirabelleBenou; 07/25/07 02:55 PM.
#2268120 - 07/25/07 03:24 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Magnum]  
Jeevz Offline
Duke of URL
Jeevz  Offline
Duke of URL
Veteran

Clermont, FL
Originally Posted By: Magnum SimHQ

Well I love all 3 of the old CM games so I have enough faith to get this one without playing a demo. ToW nearly shattered my trust of Battlefront but this is Combat Mission and not a third party published by BF.

Commence to Jigglin'
#2268243 - 07/25/07 05:39 PM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Jeevz]  
Bahger Offline
Bahger  Offline

LA, CA, USA
Yes, I cannot wait to play it. I've been jonesing for tactical gameplay having found both ArmA and GRAW 2 to be more admirable for their tactical aspirations than what they were actually able to accomplish.

Playing by email is such a civilised experience, too.

At various points in the last few years I've been devoted to the following three hi-fi tac-sims:

Combat Mission 1
Decisive Action
TacOps

Usually, the more realistic the sim (and therefore the steeper the learning curve) the less popular the game so I'm grateful that the CM franchise appears to be in good health because both DA and TO are one-man creations (by U.S. Army and Marine Corps colonels respectively) which drew a dedicated but small and unsustainable player population. And as much as I admired Company of Heroes, I like my battlefield sims to be both contemporary and unscripted, so I have very high hopes for CMSF indeed...

#2269659 - 07/27/07 04:45 AM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Bahger]  
Wepps Offline
Wepps  Offline

Beaumont, Texas
Yeah, I know what the game is Mag, it is right up my alley. I like turned based games. \:\)

#2269742 - 07/27/07 09:23 AM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Wepps]  
NickMow Offline
NickMow  Offline

Berkshire UK
Order in waiting for Battlefront to get into their office and switch onthe download COME ON BF ! they 8 hours behind me..;-) Really looking forward to this one. I have really enjoyed the CM series, like table top wargmes I used to play as a kid. Always wanted a real time option. Thanks for your dedicated reviews and efforts Magnum

"If you find yourself in a fair fight..you planned it wrong" (WFO)
#2270266 - 07/28/07 02:02 AM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: NickMow]  
Wepps Offline
Wepps  Offline

Beaumont, Texas
I've purchased, downloaded and tried to play the game and I'm at a loss. I set the graphics on a medium level and I still get terrible mouse lag. In addition, it seems like the only way I can select troops is to find the green carot at the top of the screen. The game will not let me actually click on a unit to give it orders, like I could in CMBtB.

I'm just lost, I guess \:\(

#2270285 - 07/28/07 02:43 AM Re: CMSF: ATGM Ambush... [Re: Wepps]  
kramer Offline
Hotshot
kramer  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio
i had the same problem but i was able to change some settings and got it running better. hang in there! i didn't care for it until the second mission of the training campaign. as soon as my soldiers fired their javelins and destroyed 3 tanks i started liking it better!

Alt + I turns the icons on/off above each squad or unit. if you click on the icon it selects everyone in that squad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.