Rate This Thread
Hop To
#65354 - 04/21/06 02:02 AM For Herman:  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Just wanted to mention, although it appears not many people are replying to your posts, I'm not sure how many are viewing them, but I definately am and I'm very glad you post these AAR's. You definately have a lot of experience with harpoon and I hope you don't mind if I steal some of your knowledge and use it in my current sim (Dangerous Waters).

If you ever decide to come check out DW, give me a shout!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#65355 - 04/21/06 05:30 AM Re: For Herman:  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

Your words are very kind and just the type of response that makes all the effort in writing worthwhile.

You wouldn't believe the inane flames some of these very same AARs have drawn in other forums.

I'm so very happy to hear that someone actually enjoys them. By all means, borrow whatever you like.

I actually have DW and am barely out of the demo missions stage. I hope that you get the inclination to entertain us with a few DW AARS, too! ;\)

I'll be certain to look you up when I fix my system and become more adept at the game.

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon community's #1 choice

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
#65356 - 04/24/06 11:21 AM Re: For Herman:  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Herman, put me down as a fan also.

Great reading.

\:\)

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#65357 - 05/07/06 09:59 PM Re: For Herman:  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Herman continues to pour forth careful, well-thought-out observation, analysis and reporting here and in a couple of other Harpoon forums. He's a great guy, and without the XXL Add-on Bloated Ego version 5.0 that weigh down that tiny, vocal minority of obviously envious trolls he refers to.

Great work, Herman - thank you!

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#65358 - 05/08/06 01:55 AM Re: For Herman:  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

Again, thank you for the kind words.

But you forgot:

"This has been a paid political announcement by the party for a Kinder, Gentler Harpoon community." \:D

BTW, where can I get Bloated Ego version 5.0? Is there a specific site I can visit?

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

#65359 - 05/08/06 07:34 AM Re: For Herman:  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

For you AAR aficionados, here is one of the finest examples of After-Action reports I have seen anywhere.

The game is War in the Pacific.

Matrix forum

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

#65360 - 05/09/06 11:34 AM Re: For Herman:  
CV32 Offline
CV32  Offline

The Rock
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene:
He's a great guy, and without the XXL Add-on Bloated Ego version 5.0 that weigh down that tiny, vocal minority of obviously envious trolls he refers to.
:D

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
#65361 - 05/21/06 08:48 PM Re: For Herman:  
emsoy Offline
emsoy  Offline

Quote:
Herman continues to pour forth careful, well-thought-out observation, analysis and reporting here and in a couple of other Harpoon forums.
Hm... I'm afraid that hardly anyone is on board with you on this. Keep in mind that all serious scenario designers REFUSE to have Herman's AARs posted with their scenarios on the scenario download pages:

http://www.harpoonhq.com/harpoon3/overview.htm

Quote:
He's a great guy, and without the XXL Add-on Bloated Ego version 5.0 that weigh down that tiny, vocal minority of obviously envious trolls he refers to.
Actually, the largest and most obviously envious troll within the community is exactly this guy, Herman Hum. I suggest you check out the following thread over at SZO, where it became apparent that Herman has been working really hard to smear the "forum reputation" of at least six of the Harpoon community's most hard-working contributors:

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38987&page=10

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38987&page=11

Okay, the reputation points over at SZO don't really mean jack to anyone (except to Herman Hum, who is obsessed with them). But I guess it's no big secret anymore that this Herman Hum joker has been permanently banned from the two largest Harpoon community forums for the very same behavior as he has displayed there...

Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations

Database guru, sensor model developer, system tester and senior scenario designer in the "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
#65362 - 05/22/06 03:06 PM Re: For Herman:  
Reckall Offline
Reckall  Offline

Quote:
Hm... I'm afraid that hardly anyone is on board with you on this. Keep in mind that all serious scenario designers REFUSE to have Herman's AARs posted with their scenarios on the scenario download pages:

I.e. "You, and who else?"

Quote:
Actually, the largest and most obviously envious troll within the community is exactly this guy, Herman Hum.
Considering that you posted this after that another guy received some compliments, I would not be so liberal with the word "envious".

Quote:

I suggest you check out the following thread over at SZO, where it became apparent that Herman has been working really hard to smear the "forum reputation" of at least six of the Harpoon community's most hard-working contributors
Dunno about others, but one reason why you got bad rep is because you did a very bad maintenance job on DB2000 and, when players had problems, you refused to acknowledge your mistakes leading to more problems - and, after a chain of events, to your banning from the forum, as everyone can see here -->

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23874

This, BTW, could explain you post to those who opened this thread only to say "Thank you" to someone whose work they appreciated.

Quote:

Okay, the reputation points over at SZO don't really mean jack to anyone (except to Herman Hum, who is obsessed with them)
...And to those who raise a ruckus over them...

Quote:

But I guess it's no big secret anymore that this Herman Hum joker has been permanently banned from the two largest Harpoon community forums
I.e: from yours. BTW, it is not big secret anymore that you got banned from one of the largest wargaming forum for the very same childish behavior you are displaying here.

#65363 - 05/22/06 09:31 PM Re: For Herman:  
TonyE Offline
TonyE  Offline

Good work Herman, the AARs are always great and some of us do know that you give key help to many Harpoon players.

Quote:
Originally posted by emsoy:

Hmm, if any of my sites had AARs on the scenario download pages, I would most certainly want Herman's AARs there. As it stands, I'm honored to have his AARs appear at HarpGamer and will most certainly invite Herman to place them next to scenario downloads in the event time ever permits adding such a feature to the site.

Quote:
Actually, the largest and most obviously envious troll within the community is exactly this guy, Herman Hum. I suggest you check out the following thread over at SZO, where it became apparent that Herman has been working really hard to smear the "forum reputation" of at least six of the Harpoon community's most hard-working contributors:
Just so long as everyone is clear, there are those of us in the community who work very hard and make a minimal public peep. Just be assured that a minority of the "community's most hard-working contributors" hail from HHQ.

On the topic of banning, Herman isn't the only banned soul. I'm banned at HHQ, you Ragnar (Emsoy) are banned at a few sites.

I think Herman's AARs attract people to the game and I support that and know from first-hand experience that they do bring people to the game.

Herman's help gets people to the games, and keeps them at it long enough to get hooked on the games. It is an effort I commend.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Stratsims Lead Programmer
#65364 - 05/23/06 05:36 AM Re: For Herman:  
emsoy Offline
emsoy  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Reckall:
Quote:

I.e. "You, and who else?"
Me, and just about everyone else...

BTW I suggest you take a look at the following post made by Byron Audler, owner of the HULL forum/mailing list:

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=525004&postcount=113

Quote:
Quote:

I suggest you check out the following thread over at SZO, where it became apparent that Herman has been working really hard to smear the "forum reputation" of at least six of the Harpoon community's most hard-working contributors
Dunno about others, but one reason why you got bad rep is because you did a very bad maintenance job on DB2000 and, when players had problems, you refused to acknowledge your mistakes leading to more problems
What a pile of horse****. You guys went through the SZO forum member list and throughly sabotaged all of the Harpoon community's main contributors. Details on who got sabotaged can be found here:

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41207

Oh and BTW, the DB2000 database for Harpoon3 is used by hundreds if not thousands of Harpoon players. We have put in literally thousands of hours to make sure the database is as accurate and trouble-free as possible. Any serious Harpoon player can testify to that. I suggest you check out this post made by Scully:

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=293122&postcount=8

The only guys who have had so-called "problems" with the HarpoonHQ database are you, Herman Hum, and those two other jokers.

The four of you also happen to be the very same guys who carry out venomous personal attacks both privately and in public. You have also carried out various types of childish trolling on the HarpoonHQ forum. And you are creating cheap copies of everything the guys and I over at the HarpoonHQ do, including copying information from our scenarios and large chunks of data from our databases.

Your statement is just another malicious attempt to smear the reputation of the community's most hard-working Pooners.

Quote:

- and, after a chain of events, to your banning from the forum, as everyone can see here -->

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23874
Actually, you got the facts mixed up...

It was Herman that they punished. The above thread is where the SZO forum owners ended Herman's Admin status for his immature behavior.

One of the things Herman did as a moderator at SZO was to post messages meant to discredit the DB2K database and authors, and then he locked the threads to make sure no-one could comment on his cheapshots. Clever.

We also caught Herman lying about having stolen and actively using the HHQ's internal scenario maintenance tool, the SBR, without permission.

Quote:
Quote:
But I guess it's no big secret anymore that this Herman Hum joker has been permanently banned from the two largest Harpoon community forums
I.e: from yours.
In addition to the HHQ forum, Herman is also permanently banned from the HULL (the oldest Harpoon forum/mailing list), and they deleted his user from the AGSI forum (Harpoon3 developer).

Quote:
[QUOTE] BTW, it is not big secret anymore that you got banned from one of the largest wargaming forum for the very same childish behavior you are displaying here.
But if I'm banned from SZO, how come I can still log in and post messages there? Hm...

Database guru, sensor model developer, system tester and senior scenario designer in the "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
#65365 - 05/23/06 06:32 AM Re: For Herman:  
emsoy Offline
emsoy  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyE:
On the topic of banning, Herman isn't the only banned soul. I'm banned at HHQ, you Ragnar (Emsoy) are banned at a few sites.
Hehehe then I'm sure you can tell me which forums I'm banned from ;\)

Quote:
I think Herman's AARs attract people to the game and I support that and know from first-hand experience that they do bring people to the game.
Tony, you are not the author of any of these scenarios that Herman is cheating to death.

And if Herman's AARs are as good as you are suggesting, why do the scenario designers refuse to use them?

Quote:
Herman's help gets people to the games, and keeps them at it long enough to get hooked on the games. It is an effort I commend.
Anyone who actually knows a thing or two about naval warfare would think that Harpoon was a really weird game after having read Herman's AARs. The AARs are characherised by weird suicide tactics, lots of cheats and exploits, coupled with poor research and very limited insight.

There are some comments on his cheatos AARs over at SZO...

#65366 - 05/23/06 08:18 AM Re: For Herman:  
Reckall Offline
Reckall  Offline

Quote:
Me, and just about everyone else...

BTW I suggest you take a look at the following post made by Byron Audler, owner of the HULL forum/mailing list:
I.e. made by the guy who also defined "Dangerous Waters" a game

"which any real naval war sim grognard will quickly admit is a 3D kiddie game, long on eye candy and short on teeth".

http://tinyurl.com/fz6ye

I mean, DANGEROUS WATERS :rolleyes:

Quote:

Oh and BTW, the DB2000 database for Harpoon3 is used by hundreds if not thousands of Harpoon players.
...So hundreds, if not thousand, of Harpoon players, were affected by its mishandling...

Quote:

The only guys who have had so-called "problems" with the HarpoonHQ database are you, Herman Hum, and those two other jokers.
Actually - as everyone can see on the relevant thread on SZO - whoever used the modified database could have found trouble - this because the maintainer failed to warn that the DB had been modified.

Quote:

The four of you also happen to be the very same guys who carry out venomous personal attacks both privately and in public.
It is worth mentioning again that what started this discussion was your reaction to words of appreciation given to another guy.

#65367 - 05/23/06 02:27 PM Re: For Herman:  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Quote:
It is worth mentioning again that what started this discussion was your reaction to words of appreciation given to another guy.
Exactly right.

emsoy,
This thread was started by VF9_Longbow as a note of appreciation to Herman for the AAR's he does. So you come in here to tear him down. He has not responded to any of your posts, but I am.

I don't care what happens on other sites, I care about how members of this site treat each other.

One more peep out of you like this and you are gone.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#65368 - 05/23/06 02:53 PM Re: For Herman:  
TonyE Offline
TonyE  Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Tony, you are not the author of any of these scenarios that Herman is cheating to death.

And if Herman's AARs are as good as you are suggesting, why do the scenario designers refuse to use them?
Hmm, each of us can play a scenario any way we choose, be it with tactics you have approved or via any other method we feel like.

ScenShare has shown that people do take Herman's scenario advice under consideration and modify some scenarios as a result of his feedback. I expect it happens elsewhere but I'm not very current on the scenario design discussions.

You play one way, your vision of realistic tactics, I play another, and Herman plays another, none of us is playing incorrectly or defaming the scenarios.

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone who actually knows a thing or two about naval warfare would think that Harpoon was a really weird game after having read Herman's AARs. The AARs are characherised by weird suicide tactics, lots of cheats and exploits, coupled with poor research and very limited insight.
Again

You play one way, your vision of realistic tactics, I play another (often having nothing to do with realistic tactics, but sometimes yes), and Herman plays his own way, none of us is playing incorrectly or defaming the scenarios. That we play the scenarios and write AARs or privately thank the author and share our views is the important part for me. For Herman it is even more, to introduce people to the excitement of Harpoon.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Stratsims Lead Programmer

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.