1 car spark plug insert adapter M14-M18 for REM40E RHM38E Lycoming Continental For Sale
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
1 car spark plug insert adapter M14-M18 for REM40E RHM38E Lycoming Continental:
Aviation Champion spark plugs don't have the best benefit-to-cost ratio:
- Rapid fouling during ground ops
- Insulator sometimes cracks during transition from ROP to LOP
- The resistor usually fails within 3-4 years of service (you need to discard the plug if it's more than 5K Ohm)
- Quite expensive - you can buy 16 NGK spark plugs for the price of one (!) Champion spark plug
- Two electrodes make spark plugs more prone to fouling
- Bad spark plug resistors lead to burnt points andmagneto coil overheat
This spark plug adapter makes it possible to use modern automotive spark plugs in Lycoming & Continental aviation engines instead of REM/RHM series, like REM38E or RHM40E.
- It adapts a 18mm x 1.50 spark plug hole to a 14mm x 1.25 female automotive spark plugshave greatly evolved from tractor era engines
- Automotive spark plugs are more reliable and capable of running in much worse conditions
- The adapter keeps cylinder thread from wearing out
- It's OK to use CHT gasket probes
- The adapter is made from aviation grade aluminium bronze, no temperature stress to the cylinder head
- Installation is reversible, you can always switch back to aviation spark plugs if you wish
- Replaces both REM and RHM spark plug types
- Very cheap to operate, even with Iridium type sparks: save money and get fast modification of HT wire required (reversible).Replacement spark plug type may vary from engine to engine, however NGK BR9ES might be a good start.
You can go to BR8ES from there if it's fouling during normal operations, or to BR10ES if it's overheating. Or you may try several types and decide which one is the best for your engine.
Please make sure you've got genuine NGK sparks, copies are much less reliable.
Pictures are taken on my C172 with Continental O-300D engine, Slick mags.
I use these adaptersmyselffor several years andso far have had no spark plug related issues with cold starts, misfire, lean operation, radio reception etc.
Thanks for looking and happy flying!Please note this adapter is not certified by the FAA. Sending adapters only, copper washers are not included ($0.95 at Aircraf Spruce)