Eagle Dynamics has released DCS World’s newest DLC, and this time you’ll be taking flight in the P-51D Mustang for a full-on story driven campaign. Coupled with the release is an overall update of the game to version 126.96.36.199478, or simply Update 4 of the current iteration.
The P-51 Mustang was a long-range fighter that could moonlight as a bomber and saw its heyday during World War II and the Korean War. By 1944 the P-51B had been largely phased out in favor of the P-51D, as World War II came to its rapid conclusion.
American in origin, the P-51 was developed as a solution to fill the bomber escort role. Thanks to the Mustang’s impressive range, it was initially considered a success. However, it soon became apparent that the Mustang’s engine would limit the fighter’s potential to fight at the USAAF’s desired 15,000 ft combat altitude. The Mustang’s next incarnation, the P-51A, overcame this limitation by outfitting a Merlin 61; this led to the P-51A seeing large scale production, with dogfight capabilities somewhat comparable to the British Spitfire.
In the latest DCS World update, the P-51D will be used in a story campaign which resolves around “a powerful business man and gambler named ‘Maslov.’” It seems Maslov has hired Vasily Sinitsa, a pilot-for-hire, to put the Mustang through its paces, but Vasily quickly learns that these tests might be a bit more dangerous than he realizes. The newest DLC stretches over 15 missions with each mission requiring a full completion before moving onto the next. As you might expect, all the missions will include briefings and maps, as well as kneeboard briefing and map pages.
The P-51D High Stakes Campaign is currently $9.99 USD.
Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 – compatible; requires internet activation.
Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.
1.5.3 Update 4
Naturally, this update is required to access the Mustang’s story driven content, and also includes some fixes to the L-39, C-101, and M-2000.
FR manuals of Su-25T, Su-27, P-51D updated
- The aircraft will not suddenly begin to burn when there is an obstacle nearby.
DCS C-101 by AvioDev
- Rear canopy works correctly now.
- Toe brakes animation added.
- Rear pilot head animation corrected, now reacts correctly to turns.
- Added RU localization.
- Corrected mirror mechanism.
- Updated RU quickstart and single missions.
- Eliminated fuel test button in rear cockpit.
- Corrected land/taxi lights labels in rear cockpit.
- Corrected harness locking handle texture.
- Several localization conflicts corrected.
- Work with code reorganization to merge front and rear cockpit systems continues.
- Corrected all EN tooltips according to real world manual and ED standards.
DCS M-2000 by RAZBAM
- Added refuel and police light functionality
- Updated VTB Screen for Jammed Contacts
- Updated and improved approach autopilot (still work in progress)
- Updated and increased static force on nose gear shock
- Updated fuselage aerodynamic effectiveness
- Updated aw control and vertical stabilizer effectiveness
- Fixed continuous pitch up behavior after disengaging spin mode command