Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Originally Posted By: D-scythe
I don't recall what the gimbal limits are though for the Su-25T.

Good points D-scythe...those suggestions make sense. When you are talking gimbal limits..are you talking about the limits of the Shkval system to designate? If so..the manual says +/-35 azimuth and +15/-85 elevation....

Thanks for the info..

BeachAV8R

Yeah, I was talking about the gimbal limits of the designator (Shkval). Typically, when using Vikhrs (and Mavericks), I circle about the target area out of SAM range for a couple passes, using my RWR, Shkval/IIR image and visual to scope out where my targets and the SAM/ZSUs are.

If you have wingmen, and you're sure that there are no radar-guided SAMs around, you can also cut him loose as you scope out the area against enemy air defenses with the "Attack Air defenses" command. He'll likely absorb some AAA/IR SAM fire, but he should be fine and would more importantly cue you to where the threats are. It's important though that you *must* take out the radar-guided SAMs first, as the AI has the annoying tendency to jettison their A/G load when under attack by a radar missile.

Then just hang back in the periphery and F-pole your shots to take out the threats first. Then you can run in and take out whatever you want, dropping flares whenever you descend low enough for a MANPADS shot. You're loaded with flares, so go wild.