Quote:
Originally posted by 'Doc':
Is the following the solution to the Radeon-&-gridlines-on-water-A/A-slowdown problem:

From http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=80223 :

Quote:
Originally posted by esep: The reason that I am doing this is that in my opinion the information of this problem is scattered all over the Internet and I would like to help the community a bit by making this instruction thread. I had the same gridline problem and I think that there is need for this kind of helping post.

First you have to have a patched version of Jane's F/A-18 installed. It doesn't matter if you are using for example Team Super Hornet's high resolution addons or something like that. If you enable all the graphic options from the options of the game, you may see stupid gridlines and text on the water. That is a serious problem.

You have three options to get rid of the gridlines:

a)Turn on Full Screen Anti Aliasing (FSAA)
This removes the gridlines and everything seems to be fine, but when you change to Air-to-Air Master Mode, the game slows down and it's a pain in the a*s. So, this "solution" isn't good.

b)Turn off Sparkling Water and Low Level Noise Mapping from the game
After this you have no gridlines and the game doesn't bug. The problem is that the water looks flat and stupid. So this "solution" is also bad and we won't use it.

c)The perfect solution, Radlinker
If you want to enable all the graphical options in the game (of course you do) and you don't want your game to slow down, you have to download a small simple program called Radlinker. It has to be the right version, 0908, which I uploaded to my website. It something like 0.3 MB, very little. Everyone can download it. It's hard to find it anywhere else. Don't use the latest version, because that just doesn't fix the gridline problem. Here is the link:

http://kotinetti.suomi.net/esko.pohjoisaho/RadLinker0908.zip

When you have Radlinker 0908 installed, it may be good to reboot. After that, follow these instructions to make the game work properly:

1.) Locate F18.exe in your Jane's F18 installation directory
2.) Right click the exe and select "Create RadLink", you see that a shortcut to F18 is being made to the same directory.
3.) Right click the shortcut and select properties
4.) From the DirectX page, you have to change those options a bit. These options were originally posted by Griff from the frugalsworld, thanks to him. So be sure that you put these right:

Anisotropic Filtering - 8x Quality
Full Scene Anti-Aliasing - Application Preference
Texture Preferencce - High Quality
Mipmap Detail Level - High Quality
Z Buffer Depth - 16,24,32,8 bit stencil
Wait for Vertical Sync - Application Preference

Alpha Dither Method - Alpha Dither Method
Alternate Pixel Center - Disabled
TruForm - Enabled
W Buffer - Default

5.) Click OK
6.) Run the game from the shortcut you just created with those Radlinker options I listed.
7.) Rename the shortcut and put it into some more reasonable place if you want

So that should be all. Now you can run your Jane's F18 with full graphic options, without anti-aliasing and it should work 100%. At least it does with my Sapphire R9800 Pro 128MB with Catalyst 4.12 Beta and many other frugalsworld users too. I'm quite sure that Catalyst version does not affect to gridline problem (yet).

I use Team Super Hornet's high resolution addon and I use the game with 1280x1024 resolution. Everything works fine.

Keep in mind that everything I wrote now can already be found on the net, but I wanted to put everything to a one simple (?) thread.

Just wanted to help all the Radeon users out there.

If you find something stupid in this instruction pack, just make me aware of it and I'll fix it immediately. But I think this is all you need to know to get rid of that damn gridline problem. Unfortunately I haven't found an easier way yet \:\)
Joe, do you think think that the above solution should be added to your first post in this thread?

'Doc' (aka '195th_Doc')
TSH Administrator

Doc's hypocritic Oath: First do no HARM?