Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 607 of 608 1 2 605 606 607 608
#4591413 - 02/11/22 07:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all:

Oh what beauties you picked, McGonigle!

I logged on and saw your name, but had to check the date and then saw the dream cars you posted.

Old Dux, it's so good to see your name and to know you are still taking good account of your talents to resist the troubles Mother Nature throws your way.
Even better to imagine your recuperating well enough to take an electric bike around your beautiful countryside.

It seems that both of the above gentlemen have beaten back physical threats to your well-being.
I would wonder if it had something to do with the climate on your side of the Atlantic, but I know that's not right since there has been plenty of sickness all over.

Glad to have evaded most of it so far.

Well, except for eating something earlier this week that had my stomach in knots so tight I asked the lady that runs this joint what she had given me.
The accusation was unkind and unwarranted regardless of the agony experienced.

I should know better, delicate tummy notwithstanding.
I should know pork is no better than chicken at aging in the fridge. That, folks, was my fault.

It's Friday, and I hope that oldgronard's part is in and hopefully already in the aircraft.

Yes, Sir. I am pulling for you and just a little envious that you get to be in the blue skies.
Still, I admire your dedication to fulfilling some youngsters dreams.

It's easy to look out the windows and see the whitish blue sky today.
Quite the change from just a few days ago when the whitish glow was on the grass due to the snow-covered ice that blanketed the area.

This isn't Wyoming or even New York where snow is accepted and even expected.
My old New York City buddies sent me pictures of snow-covered trees and streets.
I might have sent them similar shots but it was too darn cold to even get the mail. -Not to mention too slippery to negotiate the snow.
Never mind the snow, the slope of the yard and the ice that gripped it made it too sporting for this old guy.

It was that sort of week that allays any envy I might feel for those that own those beautiful airplanes.

So enjoy, oldgronard!

Enjoy those youngsters eyes as they feel that engine's tremor as it sings its song,
the sideways glance at the door handle being in the locked position, the grin as they climb into that seat and the smile as their sneakers bounce back on the tarmac.
It somehow pays back every aggravation felt in finding that fuel leak and time and cost to fix it.

We are lucky to be able to re-taste that moment we had when we first took flight.

PS: For those that might be lucky enough to be near Colorado Springs,

The National Museum of World War II Aviation is celebrating a surprise Birthday party to a lady that served in the British Artillery tomorrow, Saturday 12 Feb.
The guest of honor is Monica Agnew-Kinnaman, who served in the anti-aircraft artillery of the British Army during the Battle of Britain, and she’s turning 104 years old!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4591427 - 02/11/22 11:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Part arrived and was quickly installed. It leaked. Just a minor seep, but fuel in the cockpit isn’t a good thing in any amount. So I’m grounded. I feel badly because it will put more of a load on the pilots who are flying. Fortunately I am in a position that the cost of returning this part and then getting a factory rebuilt from McFarland and mechanic costs isn’t really an issue for me. I’m more upset at other pilots are going to have to take-up my slack.

Fuel drained and replacement part removed. Now packing the core to send to McFarland.

And that’s what happened.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4591428 - 02/11/22 11:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
McG, love the E-type in Primrose yellow.

I love auto museums. Heck, I love almost all museums.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4592420 - 02/22/22 08:12 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

After several changes because of falling out and disagreements (you might think we would be more tolerant of each other at our age) we will soon be resuming practice sessions and hope to be out there on a few gigs sometime in March maybe.

I'm also fairly busy flogging off a number of my late brother's guitars from his extensive collection and just keeping those he would have wanted to save.

The e-bike is an Eskute and they are popular because of their fairly competitive price. I've only done a few short local trips due to the cold weather and incessant rain we have been having. But with spring just around the corner I will be ranging over the hills and dales of Derbyshire. A single charge is good for about 40 miles although around here I will probably only do about half of that.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4594377 - 03/17/22 11:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Grounded for almost a month now. Part is on its way back from McFarlane and should be here tomorrow. I forgot to mention that in all the fiddling with it we got a fuel hose from the auxiliary pump to the carb to split. Probably a good thing. The hose had aged and become brittle. Better for it to fail while we were fiddling than in flight. New hose made and in my possession. My mechanic is going to install both on Saturday.

All my fingers, toes, and both peckers are crossed that everything goes well.

The sky beckons me and I must answer the call.

#4594739 - 03/21/22 11:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

just thought I would drop a good news update.

New valve in and doesn’t leak. Functions cutoff correctly. Test flight went well.

I’m back in the sky !

And that’s what happened.

#4594776 - 03/22/22 12:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Dux, a lot of fine bands in history have had disagreements. It might be a sign that the band is still striving for ever greater achievements.

Wonderful news Oldgrognard: A month away is quite a long time and I'm sure it must have felt a lot longer.

I recently visited a small coastal town called Korsør, located on the western coast of Zealand in close proximity to the Great Belt. The town has developed around an old marine fortification from as far back as 1660, Its purpose to check on ships passing the Belt. The fortification was closed down permanently as late as 1931. I doubt very much it would have made any difference had it remained in service on April 9th, 1940 when the country was overrun by the Nazis. Population today is approximately 15.000.

Attached Files 51954490620_8383279af9_k.jpg51954198929_79b75c86a1_k.jpg51953892606_a4bcbede08_k.jpg51953966233_6d8a2c3abc_k.jpg

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4606445 - 08/21/22 07:39 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hello chaps,

Just this morning discovered the website which confirms Roger's passing on January 28th this year: :sigh

Roger L. Melton, age 77.
WILSON, North Carolina.

www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/roger-melton-obituary?id.327353335.

Last edited by Old Dux; 08/21/22 11:55 AM.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4606459 - 08/21/22 06:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks for the intel OldDux. While not entirely unexpected it still is sad news in its finality. I'll lift my glass in a toast to our old pal who graced us with his friendship, stories and good cheer.

S!

Last edited by McGonigle; 08/21/22 06:46 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4606466 - 08/21/22 08:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Comes up “Sorry that page isn’t available”.

#4606469 - 08/21/22 08:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
I had to search for the name and after clicking the 30 days button, specify the period to the current year. Then scroll through the results for the right entry.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4606495 - 08/22/22 07:44 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
McG, oldgrognard et al,

Our friend JRT was the main contributor for the best part of 21 years and was steadfastly dedicated to keeping the thread going.

I think I still have the DVD of Wings of Victory and might re-load it if only out of pure nostalgia but can Win10 run it?

I think the best bet is for me to check out the posts by 33lima...

Cheers, Pete. :yep
:

Last edited by Old Dux; 08/22/22 07:48 AM.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4606496 - 08/22/22 08:08 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Dux, Wings of Victory will run fine on W10 provided you apply the right patch. There is a patch developed especially for Win10 which limits some of the graphics bells & whistles and as such is not quite as impressive as the latest greatest BDG patch, but the sim won't crash in 3D. 33lima will certainly know which patch is good, otherwise the the old A2A forum will contain instructions.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4606747 - 08/24/22 06:15 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Jens,

I think the A2A store version is or used to be 2.06 which did not require patching. Maybe the requirements have moved on since.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4607850 - 09/07/22 08:55 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
If BoB is proving recalcitrant in this modern day and age, Wings Over The Reich now also features The Battle of France.

Last edited by McGonigle; 09/07/22 08:55 AM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4608661 - 09/14/22 08:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Finally checked in this month.
Thank you Old Dux and McG for passing on the news.

My condolences to the family and really, to us all.

Last edited by Fittop; 09/14/22 08:01 PM.
#4623244 - 03/21/23 01:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
There will be voices whispering down these ways the while one wanderer is left to hear;
and the young life and laughter of old days shall make undying echoes.

Geoffrey Winthrop-Young. 1909

Manfred von Richtofen

#4623275 - 03/21/23 06:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4623287 - 03/21/23 10:36 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
That was some beautiful stuff. The Spit just looks so graceful.

#4623338 - 03/22/23 06:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
It's just one of those odd coincidences.
Have thought about the site and the folks that frequent this column, but really had not written a word here nor checked in for six
months

But yesterday, I did.
To be honest one of the reasons for the absence is that somehow I had forgotten the name of the site.
How could I forget? Just busy with other stuff and sim-flying around the world.

What struck me as odd was that the most active three characters lately also chose yesterday to check into this piece of SimHQ.and say something.
I am leaving myself out because although I did check in here, I didn't say "Hi."

It was not until my brother in law got seriously ill after a surgery and my sister called for me to come to Florida to support.
She is not the type to ask me for help so I knew it had to be serious.
Yep, he was expected to leave us for another world.
Short version, I stayed a week and had to return for a scheduled license renewal.
Yep, ice and snow hits the area and renewal is rescheduled for next month.

But it now looks like BIL will survive, hopefully overcome a hole left by cancer, and other than a broken toe caused by a bad fall, my sister will also be around for a while.

I had been looking for this place because both a son on my niece's side and a young lady on my nephew's side have expressed a strong desire to become pilots.

The young folks are under twenty and I need more info to share than just FS 2020 and Prepar3D to give them.
Living on opposite sides of the country will just be another challenge.

Hey, what good would I be to them if I couldn't encourage at least one other pair of pilot wings in the family?
My son has mentioned he passed the ten thousand hour mark last year.

It may be mostly in light Cessnas with some jet time in there, but he's known the joy.
It is just as profound in a Cessna as a jet.
I want to share that joy.

Page 607 of 608 1 2 605 606 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Conversational English 1586
by PanzerMeyer. 04/30/24 10:45 AM
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.