Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
#4114080 - 04/30/15 10:58 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Swordsman]  
amnwrx Offline
amnwrx  Offline

I see it's just another typical news letter day around here. Oh well, things look awsome, but itl suck if it get delayed again. That's all I have, back to reality.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4114095 - 05/01/15 12:06 AM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Swordsman]  
Swordsman Offline
Swordsman  Offline

Dallas, Texas USA
When I started this thread, I didn't realize it would provoke an anonymous circle jerk by internet tough guys and Mensa candidates.

I'm sorry I asked.

Last edited by Swordsman; 05/01/15 12:07 AM.

"The wisest mind has something yet to learn." - George Santayana
#4114098 - 05/01/15 12:25 AM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Swordsman]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Thread clean-up:

Once again…folks sharing opinions on gaming software turns into a personal thing with insults.

Let's try and remember that we are not curing cancer or solving world hunger here…it's just entertainment software…nothing more.

Keep it clean please.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4114122 - 05/01/15 01:29 AM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Swordsman]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Meanwhile...

copter

pilot

ready

crew

#4114328 - 05/01/15 01:24 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Boomer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Helo_Head
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I do get upset at stupidity and nonsense. I make no attempts to pretend I don't. I can't STAND it.

Then you must be having a mighty rough ride in life, sir.

If I had access to nukes, I'd use them. Everywhere.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4114335 - 05/01/15 01:53 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Sobek]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Sobek
Hmm, that does sound like you are trying to implicitly insult me. Is that perception accurate?

No, like always you don't have a clue. You might understand software development, but obviously you don't understand what people mean from what they write. That or you are deliberately misunderstanding in order to be contrary because you get off on it. There are bizarre people like that out there, I don't understand how their brains can be so screwed up, it's like enjoying bloodsports.

I'm referring to the stupidity and nonsense that we are supposed to believe that ED has been hard at work on EDGE since before A-10C was released as beta and yet it is still in pre-alpha. A phase that by definition they were in from the very instant the first line of code was written.

That's not possible. It's a bit like saying Einstein wore diapers his entire life because he couldn't be potty trained. Sure, he can come up with the theory of relativity! Oh, understand what those urges are and make it to a toilet in time? Nope, that's hard!

They can make an accurate simulation of an A-10C, something no one else can, but they can't handle DX10 rendering in less than 5 years? Something that literally hundreds of other developers do easily on a daily basis, some of which are far smaller than ED by a significant margin (ie single programmer)?
Nope, don't buy it.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4114349 - 05/01/15 02:19 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Jedi Master]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sobek
Hmm, that does sound like you are trying to implicitly insult me. Is that perception accurate?

No, like always you don't have a clue. You might understand software development, but obviously you don't understand what people mean from what they write. That or you are deliberately misunderstanding in order to be contrary because you get off on it. There are bizarre people like that out there, I don't understand how their brains can be so screwed up, it's like enjoying bloodsports.

I'm referring to the stupidity and nonsense that we are supposed to believe that ED has been hard at work on EDGE since before A-10C was released as beta and yet it is still in pre-alpha. A phase that by definition they were in from the very instant the first line of code was written.

That's not possible. It's a bit like saying Einstein wore diapers his entire life because he couldn't be potty trained. Sure, he can come up with the theory of relativity! Oh, understand what those urges are and make it to a toilet in time? Nope, that's hard!

They can make an accurate simulation of an A-10C, something no one else can, but they can't handle DX10 rendering in less than 5 years? Something that literally hundreds of other developers do easily on a daily basis, some of which are far smaller than ED by a significant margin (ie single programmer)?
Nope, don't buy it.

The Jedi Master

I wonder if ED has ever seen OUTERRA. 2 or 3 guys working on it.

#4114368 - 05/01/15 02:50 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Swordsman]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Exactly. We know it's hard to make a good sim, so few have managed it. We know ED does an (arguably) good job at it.

Yet the side of their sim that is more in common with every other game out there than any other aspect, the graphics rendering, THAT is a big obstacle? confused

I accept the A2G radar stuff is hard. We've had lower level modeling in past sims, to get it right with decent performance is tough, understood. I believe that as a pacing item for the Hornet--no A2G radar with good performance, no sense releasing such a plane. Absolutely.

DX10 taking years upon years? No. DX10 came out in 2007, this isn't new tech.

Unless as I said it's a small part of what they're doing in DCS2 that either blew up exponentially large or they unfortunately tied the DX updating with the rest of the stuff that's not done, so we're forced to wait forever for something that could've been out long ago had they structured it differently.

The Jedi Master

#4114388 - 05/01/15 03:14 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Jedi Master]  
Boomer Offline
(v) Viper Driver
Boomer  Offline
(v) Viper Driver

Nope, don't buy it.

Well, you see, as I keep saying, if ED would stop wasting, yes I said WASTING, development resources on WW2 "stuff" (to put it politely), the NTR would be out by now, at least in beta. PERIOD.

"Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.
#4114422 - 05/01/15 04:52 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Boomer]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

NO, it wouldn't have been. PERIOD.

Well, you see, as I keep saying, if ED would stop wasting, yes I said WASTING, development resources on WW2 "stuff" (to put it politely), the NTR would be out by now, at least in beta. PERIOD.

--
44th VFW
#4114427 - 05/01/15 05:00 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Jedi Master]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Exactly. We know it's hard to make a good sim, so few have managed it. We know ED does an (arguably) good job at it.

You don't know, and it is showing - that is a fact, not a swipe.

Quote:
Yet the side of their sim that is more in common with every other game out there than any other aspect, the graphics rendering, THAT is a big obstacle? confused

'Graphics Rendering' is a very generic term, and it only deals with the version of DirectX peripherally.
ED has already changed DX in the existing rendering engine, and they decided to not upgrade past 9.0whatever since for them it was considered a waste of time - that effort would go into EDGE instead

Quote:
I accept the A2G radar stuff is hard. We've had lower level modeling in past sims, to get it right with decent performance is tough, understood. I believe that as a pacing item for the Hornet--no A2G radar with good performance, no sense releasing such a plane. Absolutely.

If you see why A2G radar stuff is 'hard', why don't see that 'Rendering Engine' is hard? I mean A2G radar is like A2A radar, it just looks at the ground, right? Yes, you are operating on that level of assumption.

Quote:
Unless as I said it's a small part of what they're doing in DCS2 that either blew up exponentially large or they unfortunately tied the DX updating with the rest of the stuff that's not done, so we're forced to wait forever for something that could've been out long ago had they structured it differently.

The rendering engine has a lot more to do with handling terrain than just displaying stuff to you (of course, it also displays the terrain).

The very reason NTTR is NOT in beta/A-10 etc is because the current terrain engine CANNOT HANDLE IT. It's not a matter of a little tweak here and there, it is flat out not worth a second of a developer's time to 'fix it' compared to developing a new engine.

A lot of what EDGE is sits very deep under the hook. If ED was able to swap EDGE out tomorrow you might not even see a difference without a new map.

As for how long EDGE has been in development? Yeah, you don't have to believe it's being worked on since A-10C, or even before it. That's your prerogative, but it still makes you wrong.
The version of EDGE DCS will be getting in not EDGE 1.0 (AFAIK). It has been used successfuly in other commercial products, and it is now being integrated into DCS. The work on EDGE has been going on for a long time. The work on integrating it into DCS not as long.
And that is why ED knows of and is not interested in Outerra.

--
44th VFW
#4114456 - 05/01/15 05:44 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: GrayGhost]  
Boomer Offline
(v) Viper Driver
Boomer  Offline
(v) Viper Driver

Sure, okay. LOL. whenpigsfly

Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
NO, it wouldn't have been. PERIOD.

"Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.
#4114534 - 05/01/15 08:42 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: GrayGhost]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
OK, you read it here folks! GG can't read! He's replying to what he thinks I'm saying and not what I actually said! Never said Nevada should've been released for 1.0. I said their roadmap should've been restructured to get 2.0 done sooner. Comprende?

I don't accept that a rendering engine is hard for one simple fact:

EVERYONE ELSE CAN DO IT, INCLUDING ONE MAN PROGRAMMING TEAMS, IN LESS TIME. Happens all the time, all over, every day. Therefore, it's obvious they've not been working it that long because if they had they'd be done.

I also don't accept the "oh, you don't know, but it is!" BS explanation.
See, I know I'm right and you're wrong. How? "You don't know, but it is!" You can say anything you want, I'm not going to accept it, because you're wrong and I'm right. I know things you don't know, and that's that. It's really that simple. 40% of the nation's judges are extraterrestrials! I know, you don't, that's that.

Here's my SIMPLE plan for getting EDGE done in less time:

HIRE MORE PEOPLE TO WORK ON IT, FIRE SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT BECAUSE THEY CAN'T. Easy isn't it? If resources don't permit just increasing total headcount, than shift resources from one department to the other. It's not rocket science, although apparently you want us to believe that a new rendering engine is.

The work on integrating it into DCS not as long.
And that is why ED knows of and is not interested in Outerra.

Oh wait, never mind, you just said THE VERY THING I WAS SAYING. rolleyes Brilliant! "Let me conclude my rebuttal by conceding you are correct." WTF? Did you just feel like contradicting me for the way in which I presented it when in fact you didn't actually disagree at all? Seriously you should actually read what you're responding to AND what you're writing in reply, because this looks ridiculous.

The Jedi Master

#4114557 - 05/01/15 09:25 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Swordsman]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Please,
Give...it...a....rest...

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4114562 - 05/01/15 09:30 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: SkateZilla]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
Please,
Give...it...a....rest...

It's a discussion forum Skate…you don't have to participate if you don't want to.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4114592 - 05/01/15 10:40 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Jedi Master]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

EVERYONE ELSE CAN DO IT, INCLUDING ONE MAN PROGRAMMING TEAMS, IN LESS TIME. Happens all the time, all over, every day. Therefore, it's obvious they've not been working it that long because if they had they'd be done.

Where's their competing flight sim?

Quote:

HIRE MORE PEOPLE TO WORK ON IT, FIRE SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT BECAUSE THEY CAN'T. Easy isn't it? If resources don't permit just increasing total headcount, than shift resources from one department to the other. It's not rocket science, although apparently you want us to believe that a new rendering engine is.

Apparently the only think you accept is telling a successful business how to run their successful business.
How many people do you need to hire to cook a meal? What happens if you hire more?

Quote:
Oh wait, never mind, you just said THE VERY THING I WAS SAYING. rolleyes Brilliant! "Let me conclude my rebuttal by conceding you are correct." WTF? Did you just feel like contradicting me for the way in which I presented it when in fact you didn't actually disagree at all? Seriously you should actually read what you're responding to AND what you're writing in reply, because this looks ridiculous.

The ridiculous part is above. Where your competing oh-so-easy-to-make rendering engine?
Oh, right, 'other teams' do it.

You've read it here, folks. Jedi claims to have the very clue that he lacks - also, apparently he's a software development manager now as well. Simple. Easy.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 05/01/15 10:41 PM.

--
44th VFW
#4114598 - 05/01/15 10:47 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Force10]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
Originally Posted By: Force10
Please,
Give...it...a....rest...

It's a discussion forum Skate…you don't have to participate if you don't want to.

It's not a discussion, it's beating a dead horse. No matter how much arm-chair-flight-sim-designing we do it doesn't change the simple fact that we are not privy to what ED is doing or how they are doing it. EDGE isn't here and all our bickering back and forth about why or how evil ED or fanboi's are is not going to change that.

EDGE is done when it is done.

Why don't we create a subforum for DCS rants (for and against) and stop this?

Fridge
----------
Things which do you no good in aviation:
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
4) The airspeed you don't have.
#4114599 - 05/01/15 10:53 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: Swordsman]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Need a DCS Equiv of PWEC, call it EDR, make it members only visible, so tye public non members see it, and move every ranting thread there, which will keep this section clean.

When a non member sees this BS, they join under the assumption that its the norm, and you get another angry pilot rage posting about ED,
pretty soon thats all you'll have.

Last edited by SkateZilla; 05/01/15 10:55 PM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4114609 - 05/01/15 11:07 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: GrayGhost]  
Mpkev Offline
Mpkev  Offline

Where's their competing flight sim?

Quote:

Apparently the only think you accept is telling a successful business how to run their successful business.
How many people do you need to hire to cook a meal? What happens if you hire more?

Quote:

The ridiculous part is above. Where your competing oh-so-easy-to-make rendering engine?
Oh, right, 'other teams' do it.

You've read it here, folks. Jedi claims to have the very clue that he lacks - also, apparently he's a software development manager now as well. Simple. Easy.

Other games is whaT he is referring to. Not just another flight sim. Other small developers have done it in alot less time with less staff.

#4114611 - 05/01/15 11:11 PM Re: Latest on Nevada Terrain/DCS Edge? [Re: SkateZilla]  
Mpkev Offline
Mpkev  Offline

Need a DCS Equiv of PWEC, call it EDR, make it members only visible, so tye public non members see it, and move every ranting thread there, which will keep this section clean.

When a non member sees this BS, they join under the assumption that its the norm, and you get another angry pilot rage posting about ED,
pretty soon thats all you'll have.

People are angry because dcs continues to promise release dates of the updated engine and terrain. Then back peddles once that date arrives.

this has been going on for a few years now.

Especially when they continue to put resource to other tasks instead of putting all their eggs in one basket to get edge integrated.

Their buisness model is flawed.

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
PC master race skit
by Blade_RJ. 05/31/24 11:03 PM
Need Geometry Help
by F4UDash4. 05/31/24 02:49 AM
F-35 Crash
by F4UDash4. 05/28/24 11:56 PM
Most Common 4-Digit Pin Numbers
by F4UDash4. 05/28/24 09:59 AM
Dick Bong Aircraft Found
by F4UDash4. 05/27/24 02:01 AM
Spitfire Crashes.
by RedToo. 05/25/24 04:06 PM
USS Slater Destroyer Escort at War
by wormfood. 05/24/24 06:20 PM
Sunk US WW2 sub found after 80 years
by DM. 05/24/24 08:16 AM
Movie Box Office visits?
by PanzerMeyer. 05/21/24 05:42 PM
The Old Pilot
by KRT_Bong. 05/21/24 12:30 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.