Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4642260 - 02/08/24 01:38 PM My recent Winwing cockpit panel devices  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
So recently I have bought some items from Winwing's European store outlet, starting with one device (F-16 ICP panel) and based on that experience 2 x MFD + display devices. Here's my experience:

Got the F-16 ICP panel 9 days after ordering it, and I was impressed by the robust packaging. It assembled easily, I installed the SimAppPro driver and I got a perfect device functionality in both DCS and BMS. This device is F-16 specific, I don't really have a use for it outside of that one aircraft, but as the bottom two-thirds is essentially a button box I could use it for some other numeric input purposes, but I haven't yet. Probably won't, but the possibility is there.

It looks great, it feels great, and is IMO a great item to have if you're going to be using an F-16 a lot, which is my plan. (I am re-entering the whole F-16 arena after ~20 years or so, having good memories of Falcon 4.0 back in the day.)

[Linked Image]

Based on the above very positive experience I decided to purchase two MFD + display devices, essentially each one is an MFD shaped button box with a separate display device attached to it. You all know what it looks like:
[Linked Image]

After a 7-day delivery I recieved the again very robustly packed items, this time 4 smaller boxes all wrapped together, 2 MFDs and 2 displays. They went together very easily and I was very happy to see the displays act as desktop extensions (basically 2 smaller monitors extending from my existing 2-monitor setup). After going through a slightly confusing SimAppPro app setup (Youtube helped here) I was rewarded with on-desk MFDs with a pretty-much perfect rendition of the ingame MFD displays. The usual button-mapping took place and I had basically perfect representations. The displays utilise USB 3 desktop display technology, so no HDMI connections needed, just a powered USB 3 connection.

So I could have saved some time by buying them all together in one package but I had never bought anything from Winwing before so I wanted to buy one single item first & see. As it turns out, there is no saving by buying them all as one sale, if you add up all the separate component prices it is exactly the same price, so nothing lost there.
Basically I now have this setup:
[Linked Image]

I will say that, looking at that image made me think they can be all attached together but that's not the case, they are separate items and can't be easily bolted together which is what I would have liked, but that's a small detail.

The good thing about the MFDs is that they are more useful than the ICP, they can be used in other aircraft. The SimAppPro app gets you to choose between various aircraft that are supported specifically, but I found that the F-16 option also works for the AV8B aircraft. This worked out great as the map display in the AV8B is a little hard to see ingame, but on the desk it is clear as anything and the full-colours are there. These are not monochrome displays btw, full colour.

Each device requires a USB-3 connection, and in the case of the MFDs the display device requires a powered USB 3 connection. So the ICP needs 1x USB, and each of the MFDs requires 2x USB, 5 in all for my little setup.

All in all, very happy with my purchases, they met and even exceeded my expectations. All the pros are above, as far as cons go:
Many more cables to wrangle, I had to buy a 16-port USB 3 powered hub to cater for all my various devices.
Maybe I haven't set something up properly, but each time I use the MFDs I have to fire up SimAppPro and designate each display. It's a 1-minute job no biggie, but I have to do that each time I reboot.
Unless you switch down the PC with the MFD displays active, when you start the MFD displays up again they are in landscape mode and you need to change them to portrait mode in display settings. Again no biggie, a 30-second task.

Last edited by DM; 02/08/24 01:48 PM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4642262 - 02/08/24 01:54 PM Re: My recent Winwing cockpit panel devices [Re: DM]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Nice!

#4642271 - 02/08/24 05:10 PM Re: My recent Winwing cockpit panel devices [Re: DM]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
I have WingWing's 1st gen combat and flight control panel for my setup - I was/am very impressed. They have gen2 out now but I like these better for my purposes.

The SimApp software is updated frequently for these types of bug fixes you mention about cons. Be sure you are allowing it to run on computer startup.

How would you rank these actual displays against Thrustmaster's old MFDs (not real displays) ? I am using those and why I ask.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4642273 - 02/08/24 05:22 PM Re: My recent Winwing cockpit panel devices [Re: ArgonV]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by ArgonV
Be sure you are allowing it to run on computer startup.

Is there a benefit to having it auto-start? I usually disable as much as I can from auto-starting.

How would you rank these actual displays against Thrustmaster's old MFDs (not real displays) ? I am using those and why I ask.

I also have those, the Winwing ones are larger (probably 1:1 with their rl counterpart) and have a far better button feel. They are significantly more robust too. The TM ones had an awkward cable placement which made the cable kink in a way I didn't think was good for it, the WW ones have a cable management solution with rigid cable run points.
Also, I didn't really make full use of them as looking at the monitor while also navigating the TM buttons was just too fiddly (could be a TrackIR related issue though).

Last edited by DM; 02/08/24 05:25 PM.

#4642411 - 02/11/24 05:07 PM Re: My recent Winwing cockpit panel devices [Re: DM]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Thanks for the feedback!

With autostart enabled for Simapp, I think it will set the proper display config (designate and landscape vs portrait).

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4642488 - 02/13/24 09:41 AM Re: My recent Winwing cockpit panel devices [Re: ArgonV]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by ArgonV
Thanks for the feedback!

With autostart enabled for Simapp, I think it will set the proper display config (designate and landscape vs portrait).

Yeah I think I will re-enable auto-start for that, and see if it solves a small problem I have.

Basically, with my main monitor, secondary monitor and the two Winwing displays my total display area is reported as 6016x1440. My problem is that if I go into options for DCS it wants to change the resolution to 6016x1440, clicking OK/Apply shuts down DCS &restarts it in that resolution, stretched across all displays.
If I try to set the resolution back to my desired res (2560x1440) it also will shut down and reboot in that resolution (despite already being in it) and my MFDs are not active.

It's a PITA, if I want to adjust anything in options I need to start DCS with no SimAppPro running, make the change without DCS wanting to change the resolution, shut it down and then start it all back up with SimAppPro activating the displays.

I made a ticket to Winwing for this but no reply yet, and I wanted to post this on DCSWorld Forum but I can't sign in or create a new account (simply never recieve the email).

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.