Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4644521 - 03/31/24 02:07 PM Advice Carrier Ops  
RANSs9 Offline
RANSs9  Offline

How far out is the "meatball" visible / usable ?
Is there anyway to get rid of the "knob" (? HUD projector) off the top of the panel which for me obscures the boat and the "the meatball" at critical times ?
I've tried various web searches to no avail and am finding registering for the BMS site problematic. One thing that was mentioned was the ability to move the seat up and down in both the F18 and F16. However I couldn't find any further mentions, no evidence of a keybind or switch in the cockpit. But that could have been down to inadequate searching.
I heard about pilots in F4's that did it in real life to improve the landing view.
Any help appreciated
Cheers Tim

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4644557 - 04/01/24 08:29 AM Re: Advice Carrier Ops [Re: RANSs9]  
RANSs9 Offline
RANSs9  Offline

One step forward, one step back.
Found key binds in the main key file surprisingly under the 2.18Section--Seat. I'd previously been looking for a key binding beginning with sim.. after mis reading somebody's post. Anyway assigned them and jumped into the game but no joy. I understand the real F18 has a seat adjust switch between the throttle quadrant and the pilots left thigh but couldn't see any thing modelled in the 3D cockpit.
Having trouble getting slope guidance from the IFLOS until almost in the wires. Is there some work around to be able to identify the ball at 3/4 mile. For me at the moment it's just a green bar with out an identifiable ball (running 1920x1080 screen).
Cheers Tim

#4644675 - 04/03/24 05:43 PM Re: Advice Carrier Ops [Re: RANSs9]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey man, sorry to say that you are asking the one question about F4 which I cannot take a shot at answering, as I only fly the Viper. But you squids are great with all the slammers you sling under the wings. A little envious if I'm honest.

Good luck I hope you find the answers you seek.

Good hunting.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4645792 - 04/26/24 09:07 PM Re: Advice Carrier Ops [Re: RANSs9]  
Vooper Offline
Vooper  Offline

Hi smile

I envy You on getting into the carrier ops when there' s an actual meat ball and a working ILS. Off course, not everything will work as well as in the F- 16 so You' ll need to find Your own workaruonds. For instance, if You can't raise seat, you can center your head tracking software when Your head is positioned a bit lower then usual. Most of the necessary answers are in the 'Naval ops' pdf situated in the 'Docs' folder of the Falcon BMS install folder.

#4645828 - 04/27/24 02:39 PM Re: Advice Carrier Ops [Re: RANSs9]  
RANSs9 Offline
RANSs9  Offline

Apologises for delaying acknowledging forum members taking the time to reply. All advice gratefully received.

I've come to the opinion (almost certainly erroneous) that BMS Naval Ops is, understandably, just shy of greatness in comparison to its' land base parent.

Waving my magical wand, like a resurrected WW2 LSO, I'd; make the "Ball " easier to visualize and therefore use, maybe inserting a pop up window when at an appropriate distance from the boat; make it possible to alter the head position (make the seat rise/lower switch active again or get rid of the knobble at the base of the F18 HUD that perfectly blocks the most critical segment of the forward view at the most critical time in the approach.) I've tried faffing with TrackIR but altering the head postion and re-centring just alters how much of the cockpit/exterior you see in your resting head position not where that head position is vertically in the virtual cockpit. You maybe able to use the translate function on the X/Y/Z axes but that probably messes up your view for the 99% of time you are not landing. These changes seem easy and obvious to me...but then I couldn't program a switch if my life depended on it.

So for the foreseeable future I'll have to try the excellent freeware DCS A4. Then when I've invested hours in learning the systems and how to land on the carrier (I can dream.) I can then look forward to using those hard won skills in an engrossing single player dynamic campaign with automatic / alterable mission generation in a persistent world.
OOOHHH.......I forgot.......it's DCS.

Cheers Tim

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actor Bernard Hill was 79
by NoFlyBoy. 05/06/24 10:54 AM
Maple Griefs Forever
by KraziKanuK. 05/05/24 11:07 PM
Dick Rutan was 85
by F4UDash4. 05/04/24 11:02 AM
May the 4th be with you!
by RossUK. 05/04/24 09:30 AM
MLB (baseball)
by PanzerMeyer. 05/02/24 10:37 AM
Admiral Rickover
by RossUK. 05/01/24 12:57 PM
Conversational English 1586
by PanzerMeyer. 04/30/24 10:45 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.