Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2455170 - 02/23/08 09:08 PM Any mod to make AI engage choppers?  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
That is, even if their not explicit AA units? I miss the incoming RPGs and smallarms fire from OFP. In ArmA it seems you just hover until the door gunners take care of them all. I got a laugh out of it the first time, but after that it felt like cheating. (But choppers and miniguns was the battle plan, what was I to do? Besides, it was a good one, just a little too easy)

As far as I can tell, ground units don't engage until (unless) you touch down. When your squad is being attacked by a chopper they're like deer in the headlights, no matter how heavily armed they (or their vehicles) are.

(p.s. I miss my ECP sooo much. )

Don Quixote's misfortune is not his imagination, but Sancho Panza.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2455195 - 02/23/08 09:53 PM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: Amaroq]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
You don't have the same "SHOOT ME" sign on your character that I do.

I've been shot out of helicopters by Every Single Thing the AI has. I even suspect I have been killed on the bench seat by a guy with a pistol.

My favorite:

"Somebody fired an RPG!" I shout as we fly over at 1000 feet.
"Where?" somebody asks.

[Dart is killed]

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2455267 - 02/24/08 12:14 AM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: Dart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
The machingunners engage littlebirds and blackhawks, and cobras I believe. Heck, I was shot out of the sky by a D-30 recently!

The Shilka's, Strela's and machingunners are more than enough to make a chopper pilot's life expectancy uninsurable.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#2455292 - 02/24/08 12:42 AM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: Nixer]  
December Offline
December  Offline

Lead flying all over the place when I fly, I want to be on Armaroq team

#2455389 - 02/24/08 04:45 AM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: December]  
PAW1 Offline
PAW1  Offline

Yeh, can confirm Strela's, Mgunners, Shilkas, UAZ + MG all having frequently engaged my littlebird.

Obviously being an EVO player I don't tend to get in the BHs much.

Hell I even get Kamov's trying to shoot me when I fly low enough.

#2455440 - 02/24/08 08:07 AM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: PAW1]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Gosh, I was cruising the town in a Blackhawk for half an hour the other day, I actually saw them take aim but there was no incoming fire whatsoever. I wasted 80% of the infantry in the town just circling at a walking pace (waiting for my myopic doorgunners to do their jobs). The BRDMs and UAZs just ignored me, and I got no incoming smallarms at all.

I'd say it's my mods, I have the russian marine infantry mod, but that's a crunchie only mod, vehicles should be unchanged. Besides, my own people exhibit the same inability to engage a chopper with the vehicle's .50cal or with an RPG, even when it's hovering that's right in front of them. I always have to do it myself if I want it done (and games are supposed to be an escape, right? ;\) ).

When I went into the same town later with a M113 the first two minutes where obscured by RPG smoke, so the AT guys were there, they just were not doing anything.

Shilkas work fine, as do (I think) the BMPs, but everything else draws a bead and then just stares dumbly. Again: Enemy *and* friendly, so it can't really be the mods, I have no friendly unit mods.

//edit
Come to think of it, I think I have had heavy incoming on the littlebirds, but with the UH60 it was nil, and outgoing against the Kamov is nonexistent as well...

Last edited by Amaroq; 02/24/08 08:17 AM.

#2455577 - 02/24/08 04:17 PM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: Amaroq]  
PAW1 Offline
PAW1  Offline

Might be server side. Can't say i've made too many of my own missions involving hot LZ's.

Don't have my own EVO server.

#2455639 - 02/24/08 06:13 PM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: PAW1]  
Inkompetent Offline
Inkompetent  Offline

Skellhell, Sweden
Hmm... Thanks for notifying me of this. I usually get headshotted as a pilot on the first bullet coming in my direction, and they usually come as soon as I'm in the enemies' range (within 300m for infantry, longer for everything else).

Since I'm currently modding helicopters it *is* of great interest to me, so danke!

#2455716 - 02/24/08 09:00 PM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: Inkompetent]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Well, lack of smallarms seems to have been a mod: "Shadow NX & Skaven's RF Units & Weapons" (v2) don't engage air targets, others do. Friendly MGs engage, I honestly didn't know that and may simply never have had one along. I usually go for AT, Specops and Medics.

I'd almost feel silly now, but I still don't get any RPG fire at all (I did clinical tests in the editor), neither friendly nor opfor, and I still have to test if friendlies really don't engage air with .50cal, my impression was not. Ah well... there's always OFP for that RPG-dodging goodness! \:D

Thanks for the replies!

#2455743 - 02/24/08 09:36 PM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: Amaroq]  
Biff99 Offline
Bullet Magnet
Biff99  Offline
Bullet Magnet

Ohio
I believe you are right about the RPG's not engaging helos. I vaguely recall Nixer mentioning he knew why and he had an idea of how to fix it. I don't remember what happened with it.

I have been shot down by the OPFOR mounted MG's before, but only in a little bird. I do not fly blackhawks around in EVO so I cannot comment on those.

"My doctor says I wouldn't get so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there." - Ralph Wiggum
#2455822 - 02/24/08 11:07 PM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: Biff99]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
That was when I spent a whole day trying to make the RPG act like a Strela....It did too...Launched out of the tube and into the ground.

The weapons are completely different in ArmA. No easy solution that I have found...yet.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#2455848 - 02/24/08 11:35 PM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: Nixer]  
Inkompetent Offline
Inkompetent  Offline

Skellhell, Sweden
One can't just adjust the threat levels for different targets for that specific kind of weapon? Gonna check those variables out....

If one could put "canLock = true" for the weapon and set "airLock=true" for the rockets, but without giving them any kind of maneuvaribility, one might be able to get AI engage air targets. Not sure though...

Other than that I think one has to mod the FSM.

Last edited by Inkompetent; 02/24/08 11:40 PM.
#2455931 - 02/25/08 01:11 AM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: Inkompetent]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Ink

I believe the "threat levels" are for how threatening that weapon is to other tagets (soldier type actually)

Which means you raise it and the guy with the RPG just get's shot at by aircraft more and still won't engange them.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#2456390 - 02/25/08 06:11 PM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: Nixer]  
USMC BEANS Offline
USMC BEANS  Offline

Seattle, Washington
Yeah, I think I have been shot down by everything they had as well and if I'm not mistaken they will throw rocks when out of ammo (kidding of course!). I did have an AI AT guy blast an enemy soldier at 50 meters with the M136 yesterday. I was a little stunned because I was just wondering a few minutes before that what would happen if I shot someone with it and there goes the AI answering my question!

#2456486 - 02/25/08 08:22 PM Re: Any mod to make AI engage choppers? [Re: USMC BEANS]  
Red15 Offline
Red15  Offline

Lokeren, Belgium
 Originally Posted By: USMC BEANS
I did have an AI AT guy blast an enemy soldier at 50 meters with the M136 yesterday.

I'm having this happen far too many times lately, could it be the 1.09beta patch doing this ?

A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way,
that you actually look forward to the trip.
-- Caskie Stinnet

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
WW2 allied railroad effort after D-Day
by oldgrognard. 05/16/24 12:06 AM
New Viper Demo team livery
by RossUK. 05/15/24 03:48 PM
Beate Uhse-Rotermund.
by RedToo. 05/14/24 03:47 PM
South Africa’s C-47 Dakotas Set For Retirement
by F4UDash4. 05/11/24 07:09 PM
Actor Bernard Hill was 79
by NoFlyBoy. 05/06/24 10:54 AM
Maple Griefs Forever
by KraziKanuK. 05/05/24 11:07 PM
Dick Rutan was 85
by F4UDash4. 05/04/24 11:02 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.