Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
#3694927 - 12/07/12 10:03 PM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: Sobek]  
HitmanLOF Offline
HitmanLOF  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sobek
And what was his conclusion and what was it based on, if you don't mind me asking? Was he at the time still engaged in actively flying Mustangs? If not, what time had passed since he was?

Originally Posted By: HitmanLOF
Would you like me to recite to you MY credentials in the aviation field?

Well, if you're not a Mustang pilot, i really don't. wink

Again, loud and clear. Here's some advice that is clearly against the grain. How about, god forbid, you try the A2A simulations P-51 and try it yourself? Or you can do what I did - find a P-51 pilot and ask them their informed opinion. I went out of my way to do it, how come you are unwilling to do so?

Last edited by HitmanLOF; 12/07/12 10:05 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3694934 - 12/07/12 10:14 PM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
scotsmen54 Offline
scotsmen54  Offline

Canada
Well thank you for the information below. It speaks volumes of your posts. You just can't accept the truth. You were provided a name as you asked, now you have to question that. The truth is the truth as much as you would like to change it you can't. Listen, all you people have to do is put some time into looking on the Web and you will find the truths. The thing is you don't want to hear or read it.

(For the sake of disclosure to those that don't know, i'm also a moderator on the eagle boards.)

regards

#3694938 - 12/07/12 10:17 PM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: HitmanLOF]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

How about, god forbid, you try the A2A simulations P-51 and try it yourself?

Well, my opinion on the subject hardly matters. It is also irrelevant to the argument at hand. On a sidenote, i am unwilling to shell out that kind of money for a product that i'm not going to use safe for research, but again, i don't need to, because this is not about my opinion.

Or you can do what I did - find a P-51 pilot and ask them their informed opinion. I went out of my way to do it, how come you are unwilling to do so?

I'm not unwilling to do so. I could go ahead and contact Nick Gray of the fighter collection, but i don't know if he has tried any A2A product, and even then, i already know what he is going to tell me. Besides, you forget what i wanted to know in the first place. Remember that i don't claim to know which one is better.

To cut a long story short, you base the assessment of A2A being the *de facto* industry standard on the opinion of, if i didn't misread, a few RL Mustang aviators that state so. So far you have brought forward one name that has tried both, but for reasons unbeknownst to me you don't want to enlighten me with what he had to say exactly. What am i to make of this?

Last edited by Sobek; 12/07/12 10:21 PM.
#3694940 - 12/07/12 10:18 PM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: scotsmen54]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted By: scotsmen54
all you people have to do is put some time into looking on the Web and you will find the truths.

A heartfelt LMAO to that from this engineer. YMMD. smile2

#3694946 - 12/07/12 10:22 PM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: Sobek]  
HitmanLOF Offline
HitmanLOF  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sobek

How about, god forbid, you try the A2A simulations P-51 and try it yourself?

Well, my opinion on the subject hardly matters. It is also irrelevant to the argument at hand. On a sidenote, i am unwilling to shell out that kind of money for a product that i'm not going to use safe for research, but again, i don't need to, because this is not about my opinion.

Or you can do what I did - find a P-51 pilot and ask them their informed opinion. I went out of my way to do it, how come you are unwilling to do so?

I'm not unwilling to do so. I could go ahead and contact Nick Gray of the fighter collection, but i don't know if he has tried any A2A product, and even then, i already know what he is going to tell me. Besides, you forget what i wanted to know in the first place.

To cut a long story short, you base the assessment of A2A being the *de facto* industry standard on the opinion of, if i didn't misread, a few RL Mustang aviators that state so. So far you have brought forward one name that has tried both, but for reasons unbeknownst to me you don't want to enlighten me with what he had to say exactly. What am i to make of this?
Thats the thing - I did state it earlier, and Im not keen to repeating myself. Youll have to trust your eyesight to scroll back those few pages and find out my reasons to believing why A2A's Mustang is the set standard. It shouldnt be too hard to miss, its only 14 posts or so behind this one.

#3694949 - 12/07/12 10:26 PM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Ease off guys. You're moving from a discussion about sims to a discussion about each other.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3694958 - 12/07/12 10:33 PM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted By: guod
Ease off guys. You're moving from a discussion about sims to a discussion about each other.

Are we? I thought we were discussing RL aviator opinions. confused smile

Edit: Nonetheless, i'm not in the business of causing trouble, so, knock it off it is i guess. cheers

Last edited by Sobek; 12/07/12 10:38 PM.
#3695010 - 12/07/12 11:40 PM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: RSoro01]  
BillEinstein Offline
BillEinstein  Offline

Shanghai
Originally Posted By: RSoro01
Originally Posted By: BillEinstein
I just happen to have over 10,000 more hours in FSX than DCS, and Ive been flying Eagle Dynamics products since 2002.

...But for a good sim, the Multiplay is one of the most important parts.

Since about 99% of the people who fly flight sims never bother with multiplayer, that is breath takingly overstated. 1% of the users insisting that what they prefer is more imprtant than what everyone else prefers.

Your date is not accurate to the simmers within my range. They almost never play a sim which has no MP function.

#3695019 - 12/08/12 12:09 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
HitmanLOF Offline
HitmanLOF  Offline

Just because it has MP doesnt mean they play it in MP.

#3695028 - 12/08/12 12:42 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
BillEinstein Offline
BillEinstein  Offline

Shanghai
Unfortunately most of them do. In my community of IL-2 part, we have 13,504 recorded pilots flied 309,458.7 hours with 1,316,536 kills in the dedicated server. The longest one flied 4,487.1 hours. If we have 1.3M more players play the sim offline...That can't be true.
There are more FSX and LOFC/DCS online player here. Most SP favored players here will choose something like "Ace Combat x" On PS2. crew

#3695034 - 12/08/12 12:55 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
scotsmen54 Offline
scotsmen54  Offline

Canada
It was stated, and not from here that majority of flight sim players prefer to play SP not MP. Your figures just indicate some of the people who play MP not which is played the most. Easy facts to find. Your statement just indicates the small Percentage of MP not the whole picture.

#3695035 - 12/08/12 12:56 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
HitmanLOF Offline
HitmanLOF  Offline

In DCS Multiplayer -right now- are total slightly under 50 people online. FSX is about the same. Just because IL2 is popular doesnt mean that these 2 are just as popular as IL2. And to me, 50 people is a lot of people online for DCS.

#3695040 - 12/08/12 01:18 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
BillEinstein Offline
BillEinstein  Offline

Shanghai
Wish you have some deep investigation about people flying sims. Or it's really a difference between eastern and western country.
The date I post is just from a single National dedicate server here.
In our country the FSX has the largest number of players. They play online via addons like FSInn.
More people prefer morden combat aircraft than old WWII one. LOFC/DCS has no dedicated server, so they just creat a MP mission and invite/wait friends to join. They may choose use a internal IP to aviod unknown player to join a complex mission, or just use the password. The same to Falcon BMS4 here, but has less player than DCS with it. ROF here is just start recently, because the government here block the proxy server for a long time.

#3695050 - 12/08/12 01:43 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
scotsmen54 Offline
scotsmen54  Offline

Canada
Well for this weekend we have VFAT running, so lots of people that play flight sims are watching aerobatic flight DEC.7-9, they will be away from there MP servers as will the SP bunch. However MP has taken a big dip in last year and half. Why, I would say people cheating,using cheats in MP etc. so interest has dropped of remarkably.

#3695051 - 12/08/12 01:47 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
HitmanLOF Offline
HitmanLOF  Offline

DCS World is a brand new simulator that hasnt been marketed by nothing more than reputation and what little you can find about it online. Il2 has the benefit of having been out for numerous years, like Falcon still has a large online community. Its not well known, and those who do know about it arent comfortable enough to rage quit in quake servers. Demographics are always different between games.

#3695063 - 12/08/12 02:17 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
* All this popcorn is making me thirsty! popcorn *

I don't think the review is saying: "A2A's P-51D is the benchmark simulation, can the DCS P-51D compete? No!"

So let's cut the melodrama.

The comparison between the products is, obviously, controversial to some but let's look at the greater picture. Within the flight simulations hobby, civil aviation enjoys the majority share of enthusiasts worldwide; and within that genre Microsoft FSX is still the big dog, the king of the hill. Then you have combat flight simulators which, although they each have a rabidly devoted fanbase, all suffer from their respective narrowly-defined content. A guy who likes WWI may not ever fly a jet combat sim; a guy who likes WWII might only be interested in the Pacific Theater.

So, Microsoft FSX is the hobby's largest demographic and it sort of becomes the common operating picture by default. You may not have ever flown FSX but I'm sure you know what it is. And you might never have flown the A2A Wings of Power III P-51D but I'm guessing you at least know about it; in June it was the #1 Best Seller at Flightsim.com, with the Accu-Sim expansion pack for it following as the #2 Best Seller.

I like WWII combat sims. I hate jet sims, either with or without guns. The F-86 is about as modern as I'm willing to go. Before this DCS P-51D was released, I have had no interest in anything Eagle Dynamics has produced. The possibility of flying a fully armed, weapons capable P-51D in a cutting-edge simulation intrigued me enough to read the review, even though I already knew that the DCS environment is anachronistic for the P-51D...unless you like to pretend you're an eccentric billionaire with a Soviet-era military as your personal shooting gallery. So, like it or not, the reviewer was speaking directly to me and addressing the sim using language I could understand and relate to.

Is the DCS P-51D a combat sim or a combat-capable civilian sim? Is it more comparable to A2A's superlative FSX model, or to the "Storm of War: Battle of Britain" aircraft? Does it need to be compared to anything? If not, how else do you describe this product to the uninitiated?

Just my two cents...

Remove before flight
#3695068 - 12/08/12 02:43 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: citizen guod]  
HitmanLOF Offline
HitmanLOF  Offline

DCS Mustang is touted as a fully functional P-51D, within the Georgian/Turkish/Russian borders.

Pros
Highly detailed and accurate external model
Highly detailed and accurate cockpit
fully working gauges
Systematic failures
100% realistic engine performance and true to life aircraft systems
Fully functional weaponry

Cons
Old terrain that predates Flanker 2.0
Theater which has rarely seen this type aircraft/non historic references
No real missions or opponents within the simulation
Lacks in atmosphere (immersion)

To me, its like buying that Barrett M82 Ive always wanted, and there are no beer cans to shoot at, but were generous enough to provide to me vehicles that not only shoot back, but shoot back rockets larger than my aircraft, or has better armour which .50 caliber rounds cannot penetrate, or has guns that out distance those same .50 caliber rounds.

Or if you were feeling really lucky, you might run into someone online who wants to dogfight in one.

#3695083 - 12/08/12 03:59 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: BillEinstein]  
RSoro01 Offline
RSoro01  Offline

New Hampshire, USA
Unfortunately most of them do. In my community of IL-2 part, we have 13,504 recorded pilots flied 309,458.7 hours with 1,316,536 kills in the dedicated server. The longest one flied 4,487.1 hours. If we have 1.3M more players play the sim offline...That can't be true...

OK. Make that 1.1% play multiplayer. The rest play offline. The IL-2 line has sold over 1.25 million copies.

#3695107 - 12/08/12 05:10 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: BillEinstein]  
zzzspace Offline
zzzspace  Offline

Australia
Originally Posted By: scotsmen54

Ya, tires don't taste so good.LOL

The most awesome AI in DCS is AH-64D. copter

Obviously you're joking there E, as I keep seeing them loitering 1000ft above terrain and hosing targets with 30mm within 1nm or less range and getting wasted within about 15 seconds by AAA, MG, and ATM fire. So AH-64D Ai seems extraordinarily dumb, or maybe you were just making some sarcastic humor about how bad the DCS Ai is at the basics of combining attacking and surviving?

#3695110 - 12/08/12 05:12 AM Re: Review: DCS: P-51D Mustang [Re: RSoro01]  
BillEinstein Offline
BillEinstein  Offline

Shanghai
Originally Posted By: RSoro01
Unfortunately most of them do. In my community of IL-2 part, we have 13,504 recorded pilots flied 309,458.7 hours with 1,316,536 kills in the dedicated server. The longest one flied 4,487.1 hours. If we have 1.3M more players play the sim offline...That can't be true...

OK. Make that 1.1% play multiplayer. The rest play offline. The IL-2 line has sold over 1.25 million copies.

All sold in China?

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actor Bernard Hill was 79
by NoFlyBoy. 05/06/24 10:54 AM
Maple Griefs Forever
by KraziKanuK. 05/05/24 11:07 PM
Dick Rutan was 85
by F4UDash4. 05/04/24 11:02 AM
May the 4th be with you!
by RossUK. 05/04/24 09:30 AM
MLB (baseball)
by PanzerMeyer. 05/02/24 10:37 AM
Admiral Rickover
by RossUK. 05/01/24 12:57 PM
Conversational English 1586
by PanzerMeyer. 04/30/24 10:45 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.