Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4036413 - 11/15/14 09:35 PM RSoro01  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
I figured it would be best to move it to a simple topic rather than be a part of that topic. I redid my Tor attack with the latest patch just in case of playback issues. DCS 1.2.11

It appears that the more you dive (and don't AD your main gun) it keeps the D Maverick as straight as possible and from the debrief the Tor couldn't shoot it down, so two times so far it seems to be a viable tactic.

http://562.50megs.com/DCS/Tracks/a10MavTor1211.zip

Takeaways: As mentioned above the Tor has a really good ability in the current level to shoot down your missiles. By diving and launching you give the Maverick a straighter profile in engaging the Tor and helping it not get shot down by the Tor. The key things are to immediately turn away (take it easy on the stick) but if your missile gets shot down, you're outside it's threat radius and moves you in the direction away and allows you to set up for another shot. And once you get a confirmed lock on the vehicle throttle up (as you'll notice I was throttle down to increase the time) if you've throttled back to get a solid lock. If you feel like you'll end up getting shot at, simply turn around and setup. It's not going anywhere. And the use of the ALQ-184 is also recommended (turned on when I took off and turned off when I landed). No ACMI DCS 1.2.11

Last edited by EricJ; 11/15/14 09:40 PM.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4036482 - 11/16/14 12:29 AM Re: RSoro01 [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
And an updated Su-27 Mountains track. Ground crew is going to kick my ass but... I know the runway is on the right as well... Feisty thing it is but she's still airworthy...

http://562.50megs.com/DCS/Tracks/Su27Mountains1211.zip

- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4037174 - 11/17/14 07:20 PM Re: RSoro01 [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Bait and Kill (revised for A-10A/C)

Me: A-10A with 6 x AGM-65D, gun.
Opposition: S-300PS complex with only 1 5P85D launcher (others omitted for track length)
Version: 1.2.11 A-10A Module

http://562.50megs.com/DCS/Tracks/BaitNKill1211.zip

Takaways: Generally going up against the Grumble is a very bad idea especially in the slow moving A-10A or C. Quite simply doesn't have the speed or energy to outmaneuver or outrun the missile. However, the way to do this is simply by baiting the S-300PS to fire, then duck down and let the guidance system guide the missile into the ground. Distance is preferable as it gives you that time to push the stick away from you and enter a dive. Speed is of course essential so having your aircraft at full throttle also helps. Again they're not speed demons but you can simply fly high enough to let it acquire you, and fire on you, which is the key point here, and dive behind cover, use the terrain to your advantage. Given it's been a few years but if the minimum height is modeled (25m or 82 feet) you can dive below that and the missile won't be able to engage you, even on a barren wasteland. As you saw in the track as well, I started already inside the threat zone, which given the nearby hilly terrain I had the advantage, even without any ECM on my aircraft. Granted I needed to practice close in distance Maverick shooting but the removal of the other seven launchers was to demonstrate the tactic without spending an hour evading 32 missiles, which i could have done by orbiting that area I was in.

EDIT: This can also be used against the Buk and Kub as well, given the same general structure.

Last edited by EricJ; 11/17/14 07:51 PM.

#4037297 - 11/17/14 10:33 PM Re: RSoro01 [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Engagement was the same as above, but with the Su-33, 4 x FAB-250s, 4 x S-8KOM (20 rockets, per pod), gun
Opposition: Same as above

http://562.50megs.com/DCS/Tracks/BaitNKillSu331211.zip

Takeaways: It has been a few years since I've gotten shot at in a Russian jet and as the track shows I was probably (though the debriefing says otherwise) a little on the hair trigger, given that I haven't flown this aircraft that much since well.. some personal issues. Anyway, the aircraft bobbed around quite a bit and after fixing that (you'll see I pitch up like crazy, don't know why that happened but it was an easy correction) things got a little somewhat more stable as far as the flight regime. Overall you have to take it easy sometimes as if you're not sure, make sure or simply hide behind the hill or run for cover when it gives you the launch indication, which it did several times and again was able to dodge all four missiles. Again for time's sake (the maneuver of course is not that difficult to display) I kept it to only one launcher. As said it's been a few years so my gunnery with rockets and bombs and gun wasn't good, but in the end I sanitized the majority of the site, leaving the launcher as a reminder that sometimes you have to be lenient despite those who attack you. Other than that it was fairly smooth and shows I need to do some more practice with the weapon systems (second time so far using such weapons) and get the rust off of my skills.

#4037386 - 11/18/14 02:34 AM Re: RSoro01 [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Me: A-10A with 6 x AGM-65D, ALQ-184, gun
Opposition: 2S6 Tunguska
Version: 1.2.11

http://562.50megs.com/DCS/Tracks/A10ATunguska1211.zip

Takeaways: The most thing I recommend is to not go full throttle into the threat envelope of the 2S6's SA-19s, which will of course shoot you down. As you can see due to my stick having a detent on the throttle (TM HOTAS X) I can put it on "cruise control" and spend a few minutes trying to get the seeker on the Tunguska. As you will see I lock everything BUT the Tunguska, and then once I confirm lock, I launch, and then turn away. Speed isn't so much an issue but if you continue towards the system, it has a good chance of shooting you down. Remember to also just wait and see what happens as a long distance shot like that does take a minute or two due to the rocket motor and gliding of the Maverick, which incidentally the D models are becoming a good favorite as they're easy to bring on target than the H models (need to try out the Ks too) but overall I like them because you get the thermal signature of your target, allowing faster acquisition and engagement. And another tip, look on the mission if you are allowed to, and click on the threat (regardless) and look at the geography of the target area, much like a JTAC should as well as a good pilot. For this mission the northern edge of that huge lake just south, southeast was the limit of the SA-19s reach. While you can debate actual threat envelope it still is a good benchmark to look at from the cockpit and determine how close you're getting to that envelope. The reason I mention that is because if you're having problems locking onto the target, simply turn away, fly out for however long you need, and then come back and try again until you lock it. Since it doesn't shoot down your missiles, it's relatively easy compared to the Tor. Also while I did carry an ECM pod, I turned it on after takeoff and then turned it off, figuring I try it that way first and see how it goes.

Last edited by EricJ; 11/18/14 02:38 AM.

#4037476 - 11/18/14 11:29 AM Re: RSoro01 [Re: EricJ]  
RSoro01 Offline
RSoro01  Offline

New Hampshire, USA
I see I have a lot to watch. smile It'll be fun.

#4037582 - 11/18/14 03:50 PM Re: RSoro01 [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Yeah sometimes you just gotta get back into the groove of some things smile

#4039663 - 11/23/14 04:31 AM Re: RSoro01 [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
3rd Time is a charm... even if it takes a second shot:

http://562.50megs.com/DCS/Tracks/a10MavTor31211.zip

Me: A-10A with 6 x AGM-65Ds, gun
Opposition: 1 x Tor

Takeaways: Watching the track you'll see it takes me a few tries to get on target with the Mavs as the Maverick God wasn't liking me during that time. Which is fine as it showed that if you get too close simply turn away, re-establish and try again. If that's all you have to do for the mission then... there is some rush but overall if you're like me who casually flies to keep current then don't push a bad envelope, something along what Viper says in Top Gun... But this isn't fighter tactics, it's SAM killin', and overall the tactic is fairly sound, but sometimes life doesn't work with you as when I took the first shot it was a good one for the Tor to shoot down. Lesson learned and the second shot I honestly thought he'd shoot that one down )got a little loft so wasn't too sure if it would make it) as well but I got lucky. And as my Maverick was going to pick off the Tor I was setting up for another run, which annoys me about the missile, could be a little faster... Overall though its still a good thing to assume if your shot was bad, re-establish and work the angles until you do kill the Tor.

#4042970 - 11/29/14 04:24 AM Re: RSoro01 [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Me: A-10C with 6 x AGM-65Ds, TGP, ALQ-184, gun
Opposition: 1 x Tor

No track as I had a custom skin so it wouldn't show in the replay, nor did I intend to upload it really.

Takeaways: The main difference is that the TGP does help in finding the target and keeping focused on him without him able to shoot at you. However the inane locking system for the Mavericks is what will probably keep me flying the A for Ironhand versus the more thingamajig A-10C. There is simply no time to be waiting to get the dot (or maybe it's just me) on the target and hoping it'll settle on the target location as there is a good chance after nine tries (a few missions before this one) to fly into it's engagement zone. I managed to kill the Tor with one shot, but after a few tries it's far better to simply lock the ground near it and drag the pipper onto the target location, where simulation logic will lock onto the target with the A. In this case as said, I killed the Tor with one shot, but his return shot got me pretty damn good, so when I was coming in for a landing I couldn't control the jet and had to eject before I crashed.

#4049856 - 12/13/14 03:13 AM Re: RSoro01 [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
http://562.50megs.com/DCS/Tracks/BaitNKill1212.zip

Required Module: A-10C

Tor Huntin Version 1.2.12

Me: A-10C with 6 x AGM-65D, 1 x ALQ-184, TGP

Opposition: Tor set on Excellent

Takeaways: Figuring out the CMSP does wonders for you when you load a jammer, unlike the FC3 E key, it's all automatic and you'll see that in the track. Since DCS defaults to the next skin there's no worry about playback issues either. But in the long run long-distance Maverick shooting practice pays off in the C as it makes you more comfortable with the locking system as well as proficient when under the threat of the Tor. Unlike 1.2.10 or even 1.2.11 the Tor fires one missile instead of a few, which is good but also bad. Good because it lowers the chance of intercept and bad because if it shoots it down, you have seven more to go as well. Personally I would recommend sticking with the A program but everybody has their preference and set to AUTO. Reason being that you can worry about making the shot and the CMSP does all the rest as well as being prepared for an incoming missile since I drifted into the threat radius but thankfully not too far in, but it was far enough for me to get out of there as well and setup for another run should I not lock, which happened the first time when I tried for a shot.

#4050196 - 12/13/14 11:21 PM Re: RSoro01 [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
BTW people I know it seems like its between me and RSoro01 but.. if you have any requests or explanations go ahead and ask if needed.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actor Bernard Hill was 79
by NoFlyBoy. 05/06/24 10:54 AM
Maple Griefs Forever
by KraziKanuK. 05/05/24 11:07 PM
Dick Rutan was 85
by F4UDash4. 05/04/24 11:02 AM
May the 4th be with you!
by RossUK. 05/04/24 09:30 AM
MLB (baseball)
by PanzerMeyer. 05/02/24 10:37 AM
Admiral Rickover
by RossUK. 05/01/24 12:57 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.