Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4156234 - 08/11/15 01:34 PM New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo  
Craigmire Offline
Craigmire  Offline

Colorado
I'm wondering what the mood is lately on these two. I suppose they're both good quality but faults can happen so I'm thinking that ease and quality of support may be the primary concern.

I'm looking at a ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3 or a GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P AM3 for an office/work computer.

One strike against Gigabyte already is their product page overview tab for every board I've looked at says To enable AM3+ AMD FX-Series CPU support, please update your motherboard with the most current BIOS found in your motherboard’s download section. It says this for all revisions. It doesn't make sense to me. What are revisions for if not for an updated bios. Of course on their BIOS download page they say: Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS.They haven't answered my question to the sales dept which is another strike.

Any suggestions for a solid economical machine that will run games just for testing mod work would be appreciated. I have a GTX 570 I'd like to get some use out of.

Thanks

"There is nothing wrong with laziness. The old saying 'The early bird gets the worm', just goes to show you the worm should have stayed in bed. So, when I volunteered for WW II, I signed up to be a fighter pilot because it was a sittin' down job." -- Robert Heinlein
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4156244 - 08/11/15 01:41 PM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: Craigmire]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
What gets me is always the "how"? If this board doesn't support this CPU until the BIOS is updated, how do I update the BIOS on it to support it? If I have an older CPU the board supports without the update lying around, fine, but what if I bought both new and have nothing else?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4156257 - 08/11/15 01:56 PM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: Craigmire]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
With those two strikes, why not get ASUS then?

- Ice
#4156525 - 08/12/15 04:17 AM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: Craigmire]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
I've always used ASUS and they've always just worked; although it seems some of their cheaper-line stuff is more prone to faulty parts

My first experience with Gigabyte wasn't good
I just helped a friend build a new PC with a Gigabyte mobo, and it had a single bent pin in the socket from the factory. Even after getting the pin back into place, the board wouldn't POST, leaving us wondering if it was the pin or something else QA missed

#4156556 - 08/12/15 08:37 AM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: Craigmire]  
Lucky Offline
Old Guy
Lucky  Offline
Old Guy

Upstate N.Y.
Have had Gigabyte motherboards in my last 3 builds. Never had an issue or needed to contact them for support.

Core i9 10900k @ 5.0GHz
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC 8GB DDR6
32GB Team T-Force Night Hawk DDR4 3200,
Corsair HX850i 850W PSU
TIR5 With Trackclip Pro
Win 10 x64
#4156565 - 08/12/15 09:45 AM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: Craigmire]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I've been building two or three AMD powered computers a year.

Normally, I look for the least expensive ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard that day -- that has the features I want.

Virtually all the ASUS and Gigabyte AMD motherboards selling today were made after the last major AMD CPU introduction. Consequently, I've found the BIOSs to be "up to date" -- even though the advertising carries the BIOS warning. Of course, it is not guaranteed someone is not selling "old stock".

There is not much difference between ASUS and Gigabyte AMD motherboards. Both are well designed and well made. ASUS normally supports overclocking a bit better than Gigabyte. Many Gigabyte motherboards have TWO COPIES OF THE BIOS on board -- to rescue you if you have a BIOS install failure -- I like that feature (check the description of the board you are considering for the dual-BIOS feature).

I notice that the Gigabyte you list has the GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOS™. UEFI is also a useful feature for some builds. Its a modern graphical BIOS that supports some relatively new features -- not supported by "old fashioned" text-based BIOS.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4156601 - 08/12/15 12:11 PM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: Craigmire]  
Craigmire Offline
Craigmire  Offline

Colorado
Very good. Thanks a lot for the input.

Quote:
What gets me is always the "how"?

That's what I was wondering. According to a salesman at the MicroCenter you can put the new bios on a flash stick and bios will see it during the POST and go into some sort of flashing mode before it gets to the cpu test, I guess. "He does it all the time."

Quote:
With those two strikes, why not get ASUS then?

During my last build a few years back it seemed the mood here was that Asus was slipping and their support wasn't the best. I had a problem and thought their support was lame myself. So, I went with Gigabyte. I was thinking that maybe Asus had been the de facto top-of-the-line for so long they got cheap and cut support costs and that maybe other companies try harder. Gigabyte was boasting the solid caps which I assume means non-electrolytic which will fail eventually. I guess I'm hoping to find good reason to stay with Gigabyte.

Quote:
single bent pin in the socket from the factory

Sorry I don't understand. My mind is stuck thinking of cpu sockets where the pins are soldered to the board and the cpu plugs into the female socket.

Quote:
Have had Gigabyte motherboards in my last 3 builds. Never had an issue or needed to contact them for upport.

That sounds good. You are Lucky.

Quote:
I've found the BIOSs to be "up to date" -- even though the advertising carries the BIOS warning.

That's the confirmation I was hoping to see. Thanks for your other comments as well. That and everyone else's input gives me what I was looking for to make a decision.

It's interesting that since I posted this question yesterday, today I got an answer from Gigabyte (after six days) which was basically to consult the cpu support page and ignore the product overview page.

From this and another incident it seems that manufacturers "hawk" certain websites looking for holes in their PR. I would say that's a Kudo for SimHQ and the people here.

"There is nothing wrong with laziness. The old saying 'The early bird gets the worm', just goes to show you the worm should have stayed in bed. So, when I volunteered for WW II, I signed up to be a fighter pilot because it was a sittin' down job." -- Robert Heinlein
#4156703 - 08/12/15 02:22 PM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: Craigmire]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Interesting thread, thanks all.

Let's put the opposite question: Is there actually such a thing as a bad motherboard these days? I mean, if you don't want fancy overclocking or need insane bus speeds for some very specific usages...

#4156722 - 08/12/15 02:46 PM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: Craigmire]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
If it's from a no-name OEM, I'm guessing it's quite possible.

However, with all the big companies, if their products were regularly bad, they wouldn't still be around would they?
Now they may have horrible customer service, because if less than 1% of their customers are calling them, that leaves 99% who never had to deal with it and don't know it's bad. So a company can easily have great products but lousy CS, but I think we would all prefer that to a company with great CS that EVERYONE is using all the time because their stuff has the build quality of a McDonald's Happy Meal toy. smile

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4156930 - 08/13/15 02:44 AM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: Craigmire]  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA
Asus is what i use on all my clients builds

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#4157575 - 08/14/15 06:44 PM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Interesting thread, thanks all.

Let's put the opposite question: Is there actually such a thing as a bad motherboard these days? I mean, if you don't want fancy overclocking or need insane bus speeds for some very specific usages...

IMO if you do any gaming, you'll still want one with a feature-rich BIOS, good power management, and reliability. Once you get into the "bargain" price range; you can loose a lot of things that you'll probably want/need later down the road.

Also, some of the cheaper ones are more prone to issues and can bite you in the end (as in the case with my friend's build I mentioned)

But as for tripple SLI, 5+ expansion slots, 2vs.4 DIMM slots, HD audio, etc.; you can better choose what you'll need and reduce the price a little. It just depends on your needs

#4157665 - 08/15/15 12:02 AM Re: New build question - Asus versus Gigabyte mobo [Re: Craigmire]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
To be honest this thing here I currently run was a top of the line Asus P55 board five years ago... I think I never even looked into the BIOS.

But yeah, I wouldn't buy no-name or bottom price.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actor Bernard Hill was 79
by NoFlyBoy. 05/06/24 10:54 AM
Maple Griefs Forever
by KraziKanuK. 05/05/24 11:07 PM
Dick Rutan was 85
by F4UDash4. 05/04/24 11:02 AM
May the 4th be with you!
by RossUK. 05/04/24 09:30 AM
MLB (baseball)
by PanzerMeyer. 05/02/24 10:37 AM
Admiral Rickover
by RossUK. 05/01/24 12:57 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.