Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4281634 - 07/24/16 09:11 PM Trailer mishap  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
I have had a string of bad luck lately, from having to do some electrical repairs and new breakers, breaker box, surge protector, 2 new grounded circuits, and new ground rod. I knew we had old wiring in the house, which was built in the 1920's. So I got ready for that one. Then the motor in my '99 suburban was making lots of noise and about to throw a rod, so I ordered a Jasper rebuilt, supposed to finish installing it tomorrow. In the mean time I've been using my old '78 Chevy Custom Deluxe to keep working. Then my son noticed the tires on my 5 ft X 12 ft trailer were worn into the steel on the outer edge. they were only 6 months old. My regular alignment shop can't check the trailer, too long for his equipment. So I am trying to get it into a shop with longer alignment table, but he wants it all day, no appointment. I figured out a neighborhood we could drop mower off, mow all day an then pick up trailer, but he was already backed up at the shop. Some how my spot at 8 am was already backlogged. I don't want to ruin the new set of tires.
then at the end of the next day, as I was stopping for a light, on a slight downhill, i heard a scrape and bump, and saw my trailer at an odd angle. got out and realized the plate on the step bumper had fallen off, with the trailer ball, and safety chains. My son and I unloaded the 2 54 inch mowers which weigh around 800 pounds each and a 21 inch honda. Then Cody blocked a trailer tire with a shovel, while I pulled forward, off the trailer. A friend showed up just in time, and we 3 rolled it into a yard out of the way. With no way to repair the bumper quickly, I went to the home of my mechanic/friend and borrowed his F350 to tow the trailer home. once I took the separated plate and ball out of the hitch, it hooked up to his truck easily and we reloaded the mowers. I just left the chevy at his house, took the gear home, returned his truck, and drove mine home. Next day I ground the 8 rivets off and after a bit of drilling took a center punch to them and replaced them with stainless steel bolts. We had to use a floor jack to hold the plate in place, and after the first bolt, used 2 big c-clamps to line the others up and then welded the ends to the rest of the bumper. I added a safety chain around the bumper once I realized the other ones were attached to the part that fell off! I thank the powers that be for letting it happen going forward downhill slowly, and not out on the interstate hitting someone. All in all it is just stuff that happens, and certainly with better outcome than it could had been, hope all is well for each of you!

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4281707 - 07/25/16 08:45 AM Re: Trailer mishap [Re: coasty]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
Phew that sucks. Glad nothing more happened.. those are the incidents that keep happening to me, too.

Some time ago i was underway with a car on a trailer, behind my car (both same model). When coming to a crossing some freak decided to disregard the red light and crossed my path, right in front of me, so i had to brake hard.

What happened next is that both rear cable ropes broke, and the front of the car on the trailer entered my rear windscreen and thus ruined front and rear of both cars. The freak in his Golf of course drove on and was gone. When getting out and trying to correct some things i cut my right hand badly on the rests of the lights glass. There was also oil dripping into my trunk.
Next, a police car arrived.. and so on. Was 200 miles away from home as well.

Some memories i'd like to forget winkngrin

#4281713 - 07/25/16 09:33 AM Re: Trailer mishap [Re: coasty]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Glad everyone is safe, towing accidents can be really bad especially when the trailer overpowers the towing vehicle, I've seen 4x4 SUVs get flipped by a trailer. When my dad had the garage I've been at a few accidents where all that is left of the trailer is match wood.

Going to a horse show with a horse box on the back of my mother's Nissan Sunny, had gone about 21 miles or so and just about to leave the next town when THUD and the horse box hits the back of the car. We were less than a mile from the showground too.

Scary moment, for me and the horse!

The rear crossmember of the subframe had parted company from the car, it had rotted through from the inside it looked fine on the outside but it was rotten.

The sunny was a great little tow car as well, the horsebox and horse were within it's towing limits too. I towed a 21ft boat from the south coast of England to the north of Scotland with it and it returned 35mpg for the trip.

Now and again I do some towing for my son when he needs it, the Range Rover is quite good at it smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4281725 - 07/25/16 10:45 AM Re: Trailer mishap [Re: coasty]  
Simbo_Sim123 Offline
Simbo_Sim123  Offline

Tonyrefail South Wales
One of my colleagues was towing his boat behind his Merc estate and as he was driving down this long shallow hill he felt a bump and looked in his rear mirror - boat gone.As he starts to slow down something catches his attention in the corner of his eye on the left hand side of the car.Yep it was the boat which had come undone and started to overtake him !
He accelerated in front of the trailer and slowly brought both vehicles to a stop.Luckily it was early on a Sunday morning and no other road users about.!!

Paul

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra m�d,
Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Tra m�r yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
South Africa’s C-47 Dakotas Set For Retirement
by F4UDash4. 05/11/24 07:09 PM
Actor Bernard Hill was 79
by NoFlyBoy. 05/06/24 10:54 AM
Maple Griefs Forever
by KraziKanuK. 05/05/24 11:07 PM
Dick Rutan was 85
by F4UDash4. 05/04/24 11:02 AM
May the 4th be with you!
by RossUK. 05/04/24 09:30 AM
MLB (baseball)
by PanzerMeyer. 05/02/24 10:37 AM
Admiral Rickover
by RossUK. 05/01/24 12:57 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.