Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4591876 - 02/17/22 10:15 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
I recall he played the 'Big Giant Head' in "Third Rock from the Sun" comedy series, 1996.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4591883 - 02/17/22 11:33 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: BD-123]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by BD-123
I recall he played the 'Big Giant Head' in "Third Rock from the Sun" comedy series, 1996.

Yes he did and he was absolutely great in that role!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4591989 - 02/18/22 07:49 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
We love Colombo around here too. My Dad also loves Perry Mason and I enjoy it too. That Colombo with Leonard Nimoy I think is the only time I ever saw Colombo show his anger towards a suspect he knew was guilty. There's a scene where Nimoy is being particularly arrogant and Colombo proceeds to grab a pencil holder I think and slam it into his desk while staring him in the eye. It was quite wonderful actually lol. It was neat to see the righteous indignation that we know Colombo always has towards criminals who work evil actually be displayed. Its been awhile but I remember that Shatner episode being a good one. One of my favorites is the episode with Johnny Cash.

I really enjoyed Shatner's reprisal and acting as Kirk in Star Trek Generations.

Last edited by Coot; 02/18/22 07:49 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4591999 - 02/18/22 01:07 PM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Ah, William Shatner - sometimes maligned, but truly a Renaissance man when it comes to the entertainment industry.

The guy not only managed to perform a role in a movie using a made up language, he was lead on two TV shows, he's been a director, screen writer, and producer. Plus he is a successful science fiction writer.

Even his musical career is notable. Granted, his earlier work could be considered rather experimental, but it's still entertaining. His later work is actually very good.

Indeed, at work before we moved locations, Friday was William Shatner Day, where Alexa would have him voicing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as we repaired aircraft. Deadpanning "Oh no, no, no, no" will still get an earnest and emphatic response of "I'm...a...rocket...man" in the shop, regardless of what is happening.

I think he's seriously under appreciated for his career.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4592001 - 02/18/22 01:11 PM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I know the episode you're referring to with Nimoy, "A Stitch in Crime". Columbo never lost his cool so yeah that stood out. Dissolving sutures were the key to the crime.

Columbo was a neat twist, not a whodunnit, but what came to be called 'howcatchem'. The audience knows right from the start who did it.

Oh, just one more thing ma'am...

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4592003 - 02/18/22 01:19 PM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: Dart]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Dart
he was lead on two TV shows,

Actually 3!

ST: TOS
TJ Hooker
Boston Legal

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4592034 - 02/18/22 06:42 PM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: Coot]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Sorry to derail the thread further...want to answer this one though.

Originally Posted by Coot
That Colombo with Leonard Nimoy I think is the only time I ever saw Colombo show his anger towards a suspect he knew was guilty.

Originally Posted by DBond
I know the episode you're referring to with Nimoy, "A Stitch in Crime". Columbo never lost his cool so yeah that stood out.

In the pilot "Prescription Murder" he lays into the murderer's girlfriend accomplice pretty hard trying to get her to crack...probably more so than the Nimoy episode. Pfffftt...rookies! JK!

Agree with everything else...including Johnny Cash being one of my faves. Cash had some pretty reasonable answers to Columbo's questions I thought.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4592038 - 02/18/22 07:21 PM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That was a great episode, and before Columbo became so frumpled. He was quite sharp in that one. There were actually two pilots I think. Prescription Murder was in the 60s and another pilot was done in the early 70s, which led to the series.

Swan Song is the name of the Cash episode. He was pretty good in that one.

I tried to narrow it all down to my favorite episode and found that's really hard to do. Maybe Etude in Black, which was directed by Nick Colasanto, Coach from Cheers. Or Any Port in a Storm. Bah, I could go on, it's too hard to pick one.

But I'm glad to see there are other fans of this great series. I watch it every week even though I've seen all episodes a bunch of times.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4592044 - 02/18/22 09:07 PM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs

#4592089 - 02/19/22 05:12 PM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
There was a short-lived British series called Indian Detective where Shatner was the head of a crime syndicate. He did pretty well playing that part. It was a great series, but they cancelled it after only two or three seasons.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#4592295 - 02/22/22 03:56 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: vocatx]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by vocatx
There was a short-lived British series called Indian Detective where Shatner was the head of a crime syndicate. He did pretty well playing that part. It was a great series, but they cancelled it after only two or three seasons.

I looked it up and it's actually a Canadian tv series. Shatner being Canadian himself I'm not surprised that he was on that series!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5797220/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

#4592692 - 02/24/22 08:15 PM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Wrong engine room!

#4592701 - 02/24/22 09:51 PM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Wrong engine room!

I don't think there was a set of the original ship for them to work with during that time. Since it was a commercial they had to work with what was available at the time.

#4592727 - 02/25/22 09:13 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Captain Kirk was definitely one of the best characters. I totally appreciate William Shatner in this epic role. he really made the alchemy of the Star Trek l TV serieswork. portraying the noble Captain.

The show, the TV series were, as 'hokey' and low-tech sets and fake costumes could be.. ol.. one of the most important and influential series of lessons and food for thought one could find anyway.
Too bad most people just can't 'dig it'. Its over there heads. they rave about Star Trek and wear costumes go to Treky conventions but IMHO 99% missed the lessons entirely. Most people just want eye-candy and social

I mean even today practically the whole world is confused asking, 'Is there life on other planets anywhere?'.Well of course there is and the whole presentation of the original plot from the show by Gene Roddenberry actually starts out with this hand written pitch presented by Roddenbury.
It starts with the reference to the (non-fictional) mathematical theorem (at the time) estimating the numbers of stars and planets and the equation that proves theoretically that there are tons of planet like earth in the universe that can support life.
(I actually saw the manuscript offered for sale on a TV pawn show awhile ago.)
This is sort of just a background to the pitch.
Of course Star Trek goes way beyond that and entertains that the planet and life-forms do not necessarily have to be based from an earth-like planet and chemistry, but some lifeforms can exists as simple 'energy'.

Then also I could rave on about the other main character Spock. The Vulcan / half Human. And the planet Vulcan and there logic based civilization and the lessons thereoff. Again most of which is missed by the mass of humanoids of this planet.

Yes I was influenced a ton by William Shatner and I'm grateful for him and there is no way I could disregard him. I had shaken his hand like I did James Earl Jones another man of stellar character and immense learning and skills.
Yep The man was as genuine as they come and truly he was the noble 'renaissance man'.
Captain 'Jim" Kirk. The american ideal of yankee ingenuity taking on and solving (with Spock and the crew's help of course) the problems of space in a somewhat crowded universe.. and an even more crowded tiny low budget set.

Supposedly it was 'Gunsmoke' in space according to Leonard Nimoy. But that was far from what the lessons of the show has hidden in between the script lines.

Conception and setting

The Starfleet emblem as seen in the franchise
As early as 1964, Gene Roddenberry drafted a proposal for the science fiction series that would become Star Trek. Although he publicly marketed it as a Western in outer space—a so-called "Wagon Train to the Stars"—he privately told friends that he was modeling it on Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, intending each episode to act on two levels: as a suspenseful adventure story and as a morality tale.[10][11][12][13]

Most Star Trek stories depict the adventures of humans and aliens who serve in Starfleet, the space-borne humanitarian and peacekeeping armada of the United Federation of Planets. The protagonists have altruistic values, and must apply these ideals to difficult dilemmas.

Many of the conflicts and political dimensions of Star Trek are allegories of contemporary cultural realities. The Original Series addressed issues of the 1960s, just as later spin-offs have tackled issues of their respective decades.[14] Issues depicted in the various series include war and peace, the value of personal loyalty, authoritarianism, imperialism, class warfare, economics, racism, religion, human rights, sexism, feminism, and the role of technology.[15]: 57  Roddenberry stated: "[By creating] a new world with new rules, I could make statements about sex, religion, Vietnam, politics, and intercontinental missiles. Indeed, we did make them on Star Trek: we were sending messages and fortunately they all got by the network."[15]: 79  "If you talked about purple people on a far off planet, they (the television network) never really caught on. They were more concerned about cleavage. They actually would send a censor down to the set to measure a woman's cleavage to make sure too much of her breast wasn't showing"[16]

Roddenberry intended the show to have a progressive political agenda reflective of the emerging counter-culture of the youth movement, though he was not fully forthcoming to the networks about this. He wanted Star Trek to show what humanity might develop into, if it would learn from the lessons of the past, most specifically by ending violence. An extreme example is the alien species known as the Vulcans, who had a violent past but learned to control their emotions. Roddenberry also gave Star Trek an anti-war message and depicted the United Federation of Planets as an ideal, optimistic version of the United Nations.[17] His efforts were opposed by the network because of concerns over marketability, e.g., they opposed Roddenberry's insistence that Enterprise have a racially diverse crew.[18]

Yes it was quite a lot too handle for the masses. But then again this was the 1960's. Although really I watched the show more from daily reruns in the 1970's when I was a teen. Some like I, could make the quantum leaps while most remained, sadly, Earth-bound and clinging to their dogmas.

Yes its too bad so many missed the purports of the most important era mainly the 1960's. Even more too bad we have to tolerate the same issues and people that refuse to educate themselves from history and logic and thus remain so Earth-bound and stuck in their pre-1960's Vortex

Last edited by FsFOOT; 02/25/22 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling.. check urls.. change to Vortex to avoid being misunderstood
#4592856 - 02/26/22 03:45 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: wormfood]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Originally Posted by wormfood
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Wrong engine room!

I don't think there was a set of the original ship for them to work with during that time. Since it was a commercial they had to work with what was available at the time.

U r correct, Sir.

#4593041 - 03/01/22 04:45 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Another ad!

#4595326 - 03/27/22 01:46 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Starship Captain has good work benefits

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdaP9b7V/

#4595699 - 03/31/22 06:52 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Good commercials. Movie wasn't.

Show too much!

Show too much!

I think the whale lady was cute

\Shatner directing is why this FAI?

Best commercial of a Star Trek movie

Show too much again!

Shatner must had demanded another Kirk paycheck.

#4595710 - 03/31/22 10:34 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
YAWN.

#4599009 - 05/07/22 07:47 AM Re: Captain Kirk videos [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Movie Box Office visits?
by PanzerMeyer. 05/21/24 05:42 PM
The Old Pilot
by KRT_Bong. 05/21/24 12:30 PM
Il Plastico
by wormfood. 05/20/24 11:22 PM
WWII Photos Realistically Colorized
by F4UDash4. 05/20/24 09:04 PM
How many words/sentence should a speech be?
by NoFlyBoy. 05/20/24 10:54 AM
Harrier Pilot "Sharkey" Ward was 80
by F4UDash4. 05/19/24 11:01 PM
Autographs
by F4UDash4. 05/18/24 06:34 PM
Boxing fans
by RossUK. 05/18/24 03:11 PM
Bud Anderson was 102
by F4UDash4. 05/18/24 01:14 PM
The guy in War Games passes at 92
by NoFlyBoy. 05/18/24 02:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.