Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4640595 - 01/04/24 05:38 AM Auto Trim  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Hello! I haven't been here for a very long time. Finally I have v1.37 installed and I'm tinkering with the bindings.

Qustion: Does anybody use Auto Trim (CTR+A)? I tried it but couldn't see any effect on the plane. Any use of it at all? Even if you don't use it but you know it works on your side, how can it be used?

Thanks.

#4640615 - 01/04/24 02:56 PM Re: Auto Trim [Re: Dirk98]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
I use it in WOTR, but not in WOFF.

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4640625 - 01/04/24 07:02 PM Re: Auto Trim [Re: Dirk98]  
busdriver Offline
busdriver  Offline

WWI pilots couldn't adjust the trim. So in WOFF manual or Auto Trim would be like using Chaff and Flares. As an answer to "how can it be used?"I infer that you are not a pilot IRL. I apologize if I've inferred something you did not imply.

The purpose of trimming the airplane is to take physical pressure off of the stick in a stable (think one g, wings level) condition. Your arm gets tired having to hold constant pressure. You could be descending on a stabilized glidepath for landing, or cruising straight and level, or climbing at a constant speed. You trim the pressure off allowing you to remove your hands from the stick/yoke while the airplane maintains the state you trimmed for. As long as you don't add or subtract too much power, the airplane will remain approximately (airspeed and pitch) where you trimmed. As we frequently heard our IPs (Instructor Pilots) say, "trim is your friend."

In dogfighting you would not actively trim because of the dynamic conditions. As a "traveling tip" or "gouge" I was taught and continued to teach to trim a little bit of forward stick in the F-4 and F-16 prior to air-to-air, and when setting up to drop bombs (helps prevent a banana pass when trying to get your bomb on target).

Desktop flight simulators present a whole host of challenges with trimming. As 1GCCFPs (One G Comfy Chair Fighter Pilots) we lack the physical feedback cues of real airplanes or high-fidelity military/commercial flight simulators.

As far as WOFF goes, trim is a non-issue.

#4640632 - 01/04/24 08:15 PM Re: Auto Trim [Re: busdriver]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Originally Posted by busdriver
WWI pilots couldn't adjust the trim. So in WOFF manual or Auto Trim would be like using Chaff and Flares. As an answer to "how can it be used?"I infer that you are not a pilot IRL. I apologize if I've inferred something you did not imply.

The purpose of trimming the airplane is to take physical pressure off of the stick in a stable (think one g, wings level) condition. Your arm gets tired having to hold constant pressure. You could be descending on a stabilized glidepath for landing, or cruising straight and level, or climbing at a constant speed. You trim the pressure off allowing you to remove your hands from the stick/yoke while the airplane maintains the state you trimmed for. As long as you don't add or subtract too much power, the airplane will remain approximately (airspeed and pitch) where you trimmed. As we frequently heard our IPs (Instructor Pilots) say, "trim is your friend."

In dogfighting you would not actively trim because of the dynamic conditions. As a "traveling tip" or "gouge" I was taught and continued to teach to trim a little bit of forward stick in the F-4 and F-16 prior to air-to-air, and when setting up to drop bombs (helps prevent a banana pass when trying to get your bomb on target).

Desktop flight simulators present a whole host of challenges with trimming. As 1GCCFPs (One G Comfy Chair Fighter Pilots) we lack the physical feedback cues of real airplanes or high-fidelity military/commercial flight simulators.

As far as WOFF goes, trim is a non-issue.

I am sincerely grateful for your detailed response, busdriver! I've actually flown at the controls of a piston aircraft and a couple of times in a modern fighter jet in the back )). In WoFF, for instance, I don't use Time Compression, HUD, TAC and even in-game GPS but I can afford the occasional Level Auto Pilot and even (oh my God!) Basic Auto Pilot out of curiosity. In WW1, I read somewhere that you could ask the workshop on the ground to tighten the control surfaces of the airplane, so sometimes I simulate that by trimming the plane (aileron and elevator trims work in the game btw), at least before takeoff, if not in the flight, and I don't feel much remorse in that. ))
Thanks!

Last edited by Dirk98; 01/04/24 08:22 PM.
#4640633 - 01/04/24 08:19 PM Re: Auto Trim [Re: Burning_Beard]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Originally Posted by Burning_Beard
I use it in WOTR, but not in WOFF.

It must have been intended for WOTR indeed.

Thanks.

#4640673 - 01/05/24 07:32 PM Re: Auto Trim [Re: Dirk98]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Most WWI pilots didn't have a trim wheel actually... a couple of aeroplanes had that ability, the majority didn't. Some were trued up to fly relatively level at cruising speed.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
WW2 allied railroad effort after D-Day
by oldgrognard. 05/16/24 12:06 AM
New Viper Demo team livery
by RossUK. 05/15/24 03:48 PM
Beate Uhse-Rotermund.